With more people cooking and eating at home every day now, you may have noticed just how easy it is to let food spoil without even meaning to. From cookies to crackers and cereals, it’s common to overestimate how long you can leave a bag open before the food inside starts to diminish in quality.
If you’ve noticed this problem in your kitchen, you’ll be happy to hear that there’s a tried and true kitchen solution that’s perfect for times like these: Air tight containers!
A natural choice for anyone looking to save money and make sure they’re only eating the highest quality food available, air tight containers have become many a home cook’s best friend.
In this buyer’s guide, you’ll find everything you need to know about air tight containers for all your kitchen storage needs. So before you let another batch of food go stale, let’s get started on our review of the 7 best air tight container options available today.
How to Choose the Best Air Tight Container
Are you new to the whole idea of using an air tight container in your kitchen? Understanding the following topics will help you to be better able to choose the perfect air tight container for your needs.
What Should You Keep In An Air Tight Container?
Airtight containers are a perfect option both for keeping bulk dried foods and perishable dry foods at their peak quality for as long as possible. This means that rice and beans are perfect candidates, but so are your children’s cereals and any snack foods that you might want to keep around the house.
Avoid placing wet or moist foods in your airtight containers; they’ll grow mold or mildew if left too long.
What to Look for In An Air Tight Container
Any airtight container is only as useful as its ability to keep your food fresh and easily accessible. That’s why we look for the following five qualities in every air tight container we review:
- How big of a container do you need? Try to choose a container that very closely matches how much food you need to store in it; this will keep air inside the container to a minimum, and keep your foods fresher for longer.
- Seal. How does the container seal? Snap locks make the safest seal, but can be difficult to operate. Lids with rubber or silicone gaskets are simple to operate, but may stop being airtight over time.
- Visibility. Every time you open your airtight container, the food inside will be a little less fresh than before. That’s why we always choose see-through airtight containers; you can know at a glance whether you have the right container, rather than having to open it to find out.
- Durability. Glass containers are attractive and easy to clean, but can be prone to breaking if they’re not thick enough or properly tempered. Even plastic containers can be prone to shattering if they’re not heavy-duty. In short, look for thick and hardened containers that are built to last.
- Cleaning. If the container is extremely difficult to clean, you’ll run the risk of harboring bacteria every time you refill it. Look for containers that are easy to clean — or better yet, dishwasher safe.
Types of Air Tight Containers
While air tight containers come in all shapes and sizes, the biggest difference that you’ll notice from one to the next has to do with the material that they’re made out of.
Metal containers are extremely durable and easy to clean, but often much more expensive than similarly sized glass or plastic options. They also have the downside of not letting you see what’s inside without having to open the canister.
Glass containers are an attractive option that’s easy to clean and resists staining or developing odors, that also has the benefit of allowing you to view the contents at a glance. They’re quite fragile, however, and prone to breaking if roughly handled.
Plastic containers are the least stylish option available, but offer great storage capacity and durability at very reasonable prices. Some plastics may absorb odors, but harder and less porous materials do not.
Top 7 Best Air Tight Containers Review
1. Best Overall – Cuisinox Air Tight Kitchen Canister
- MEDIUM SIZE MAKES IT SUITABLE FOR USE IN ANY KITCHEN
- STYLISH DESIGN LOOKS GREAT IN ANY ROOM
- PERFECTLY AIRTIGHT SEAL THANKS TO A SILICON GASKET
- VIEW THE CONTENTS OF YOUR JAR THROUGH THE GLASS BOTTOM, WITHOUT HAVING TO OPEN IT
- EASY TO CLEAN, JUST WIPE IT DOWN AND LET AIR DRY
- GLASS BOTTOM MAKES IT VULNERABLE IF DROPPED
- ON THE EXPENSIVE SIDE
- 1.15 quart storage capacity
- Stainless steel top, glass bottom
- Airtight lid lined with silicon rubber
- Measures 9” H x 4.5” W x 4.5” D
- Weighs 1.5 pounds
One look at the Cuisinox Air Tight Kitchen Canister will let you know that it’s not just stylish — it’s incredibly functional, too. Perfectly suited for use as both a decorative piece and a large capacity storage container, its polished metal top leads into a see-through glass bottom that lets you peek inside without opening the canister and exposing your food to the air.
A tall, narrow design helps this airtight container save space on your countertop while still allowing for a generous storage capacity. Easy to clean, all it requires is a quick wipe-down and leaving it out to air dry; the material is naturally antibacterial and will prevent the growth of mold or mildew.
In short, this airtight kitchen canister from Cuisinox is pricey but not overpriced — and a beautiful option to liven up the design of any kitchen while maximizing your storage space.
2. Best Value – Komax Biokips Extra Large Food Storage Container
- HUGE STORAGE CAPACITY AT A VERY REASONABLE PRICE
- CAN BE STACKED WITH OTHER PRODUCTS FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER
- BPA-FREE PLASTIC IS STRONG AND FOOD SAFE
- EASY-CARRY HANDLE
- LOCKING LID MAKES IT COMPLETELY AIRTIGHT AND WATERTIGHT
- PLAIN PLASTIC CONSTRUCTION ISN’T MUCH TO LOOK AT
- LARGE SIZE REQUIRES A LARGE PANTRY SHELF TO USE IT
- 388 ounce storage capacity
- Freezer safe
- 100% airtight seal with locking edges
- Integrated top handle
- BPA-free plastic construction
- Measures 13.8 x 10 x 7.3 inches
- Weighs 1.20 pounds
With an absolutely huge storage capacity and an equally small price, the Komax Biokips Food Storage Container may be the most economical option available for storing large amounts of dried goods. If you’ve been looking for a container that’s perfect for flour, sugar, or other staples, it would be hard to go wrong with this oversized airtight plastic container.
The hard plastic construction of this air tight container from Komax Biokips is also completely BPA-free, meaning it won’t leach any harmful chemicals into your foods while they’re being stored. It’s honestly not much to look at, but if you value function over form it’s almost impossible to beat for sheer storage capacity.
3. Premium Choice – Le Creuset Metallics Kitchen Canister
- COMES IN A HUGE RANGE OF COLORS AND SIZES TO FIT YOUR KITCHEN
- STYLISH AND ELEGANT DESIGN LOOKS GREAT ANYWHERE
- FULLY AIRTIGHT AND WATERPROOF THANKS TO A SILICONE GASKET SEAL
- EASY TO CLEAN AND DISHWASHER SAFE
- NON-STICK INTERIOR MAKES IT EASY TO GET FOOD IN AND OUT
- ON THE EXPENSIVE SIDE
- STONEWARE CONSTRUCTION CAN CHIP OR BREAK IF HANDLED CARELESSLY
- Available in 10 colors and 5 sizes
- Freezer Safe
- Beechwood lid
- Silicone gaskets
- Enamel finish
- Made of dense stoneware
- Nonstick glazed interior
- Dishwasher safe
Well known for their colorfully enameled kitchenware, Le Creuset is a top choice of professional chefs, interior designers, and home cooking enthusiasts around the world. It should come as no surprise, then, that their airtight kitchen canister features the same dashing good looks and thoughtful design of the rest of their kitchen equipment.
Available in a huge range of colors and sizes, the Le Creuset Metallics Kitchen Canister is the most customizable option of any air tight container that we tested — though its price may be prohibitive for some buyers. Made of dense stoneware and coated with a nonstick enamel interior and exterior, it’s a luxury storage container that’s equal parts decoration and utility.