Best Budget Microphones
Do you want a great experience on YouTube, singing, podcasting, gaming and share it with your friends and the whole wide world?…
…. Do you want to become a successful vlogger and make your channel one of the best channels out there?
If you’re just getting started, then you will need to search for the right equipment to make your videos stand out. And that is not possible without finding the best microphone choice that modern technology has to offer!
Imagine, just how much your channel subscribers and video ratings would increase if you knew which microphone would offer the best sound quality to your videos. Of course, good sound quality would make your audience very pleased and happy and you’d be able to set a new record to your views, likes and YouTube subscribers !
Here are a few guide steps to which type of microphones you should be using on YouTube, podcast, music : first of all we have the unidirectional microphones.
The most common unidirectional microphone is the cardioid. Do you want to eliminate any kind of unwanted noise like footsteps in the kitchen, crying babies or children quarrels from outside your bedroom window? These microphones record sound coming from only one direction and they are designed especially for speech.
If you don’t want a low quality sound recorder coming from a built-in camera microphone, which you should avoid at all costs, then this is what you need. The unidirectional is the best microphone for Microphones for Home Recording.
Camera microphones are not professional because they are omnidirectional, meaning they record every single sound of movement, of breathing and air coming from every direction while the sound around you can get louder than your voice and become distorted. So never trust built-in mics !
Now that we’ve established you should be using a unidirectional microphone, there are still more types of microphones to be explored. Let’s find out which one is the best microphone for podcasting!
7 The best microphone for you
Microphones are an important tool in making great videos and podcasting. If you have a perfect sound then you will rapidly start measuring your online progress and be able to convince yourself.
A microphone is one of those items that should never be missing from your computer desk when you want to become a professional vlogger.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the excellent products on the market to help you with your recordings while on the go.
Blue Yeti USB Microphone – Silver
Blue Yeti Microphone is one of the best microphones you will find on the market. It has 3 condenser capsules that can record almost anything, a multiple pattern selection which allows you to switch sound modes between omnidirectional, cardioid, bidirectional, l and stereo and it comes with volume control for headphones, headphone output and mute options. This is a USB condenser microphone and it’s one of the best on the market because of its wide options.
- You can for example adjust its sensitivity with the gain control if you are experiencing external noise that is interfering with your sound quality, and all the additional options help you podcast
- Do voiceovers, interviews, record yourself while singing and playing instruments and all you have to do is simply plug it into your computer and start recording.
- The rich sound has good quality depth and detail and it has a THX certification which is based on tests for frequency response and signal-to-noise ratio, and it also has a weighted base that holds the microphone fixed when you are recording.
- it has the best reasonable price for the best quality you can get out of a USB microphone.
- The only disadvantages it has would be the fact that it’s very large, the giant size makes this microphone live up to its name “Yeti” and it can be inconvenient for portable use
- The metal material that it is build of gives it a classy retro appearance, the buttons and knobs integrated inside it are made out of cheap plastic and can make you feel uneasy while worrying they could break if you’re not careful enough.
- Another disadvantage would be the fact that being a static microphone you don’t exactly have all the freedom of movement, and if you want a pop filter, you will have to buy it separately.
All in all, there are no major disadvantages to this product and compared to other USB microphones it has a lot more options to help creating the best videos ever and it’s easy to use, you can’t fail with a Blue Yeti and as a product which serves as one of the best microphones for recording Youtube videos with its high audio resolution, it is indeed the best microphone for youtubers. Just try the quality and see for yourself! I guarantee you won’t feel disappointed.
Blue Snowball iCE Condenser Microphone, Cardioid – White
Blue Snowball USB condenser microphone is a low priced microphone which has a cardioid and omnidirectional sound pattern and comes in different colors to match your personal preferences.
The advantage of its price is that any starter in the art of vlogging and video editing can afford it. It has a quality sound that is clean and its simple ball shaped design along with its smaller size makes it the best fit for your desk table.
It comes with three modes of recording styles like cardioid, cardioid -10dB, and omnidirectional, and it also has the possibility of stereo sound thanks to the sonic flexibility from its two microphone capsules.
- Blue Snowball is reliable and affordable and while it might not be most advanced microphone on the market, it can still be labeled as semi-professional.
- t’s simple, yet flexible design can allow you to podcast and record speech in cardioid mode, to record live and loud music in cardioid -10dB mode, and to capture ambient noise and group voices with the two stereo microphones, and it works perfectly for voiceovers, podcasting,
- on web chats and Skype and it’s also a very stylish looking microphone and serves your personal uses and it can deliver good results while working on your videos because it’s still one of the best microphones for home recording.
- It’s not a highly professional microphone, so you can’t expect to be generating many and different various sound effects as it supports only 44.1 kHz / 16-bit digital output with no traditional analog mixing,
- it’s not a studio microphone, and it could use some more work in improving its quality and choice of options.
4. Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder
Are you tired of taking notes with a simple pencil on paper at the University college classes ? If that’s how you feel then you’re in luck !
This amazing little digital recorder allows you to record interviews, live concerts, band rehearsals, lectures, meetings, songs and anything else you need with just a small simple click on the button.
Has a built-in stereo microphone, it’s very lightweight, solid, and uses a single AA alkaline battery that lasts up to 10 hours.
- This recorder comes with a set of two matched unidirectional microphones facing each other at 90 degrees and it’s perfect for capturing high definition stereo recordings from your surroundings.
- Another advantage is that it has a headphones output with a volume control and you can plug in headphones and its small size allows you to simply hide it in your pocket when you need to.
- You can use it everywhere you like to record live performances, conferences and in journalism and it’s easy to use by looking on the backlit display where you can see all the recording levels, file format, time elapsed, battery life and recording time.
- Now you won’t want to get separated from your new little friend and will want to carry it with you every day.
- The recorder isn’t able to cancel to ambient sounds even if it has a unidirectional pattern because the two matched microphones are facing opposite directions and capture sounds coming from everywhere.
Despite the fact that it can’t avoid and shut out all the sound distortion coming from ambient noise, it does have many more advantages for a microphone recorder and it’s well worth it because it’s practical and comfortable to carry around at a very reasonable price. It still provides the best quality sound by capturing all the details with sharp clarity and it can prove out to be one of the best microphones you ever needed to use.
Audio-Technica AT2020USB PLUS Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone
Audio-Technica A2020 USB cardioid condenser microphones is one of the best microphones for recording youtube videos because even though it has only the cardioid sound pattern available, it has a very good sensitivity which makes it the best microphone for vlogging and podcasting.
The features it comes with are the A/D high quality converter with 16 bit, 44.1/48 kHz, the headphone jack for volume controls and also a mix control which allows you to combine your microphone signal with pre-recorded audio and also, a high-output internal headphone amplifier which helps with music sound details and better clarity. It is designed to capture music and acoustic sound and it’s perfect for creating a small home studio recording platform.
- This microphone will make your vocal range sound very cool and clean as it offers you a very good cardioid condenser pattern to work with and if you also add a preamp or compressor plug-in to it, your vocal sound will reach the level of outstanding
- It comes with a cable, a stand and a filter and it features a 16 mm low-mass diaphragm with a 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, 144dB SPL handling, with a big bass extension and its the best microphone for youtube commentary and the best microphone for youtubers as it specializes on vocal quality sound with warmth, air and clarity.
- It is no doubt one of the best microphones for youtube gaming as well and one of the most recommended microphones for youtube videos.
- When it comes to this microphone, there aren’t many bad traits about it just maybe some minor ones like the fact that it has no mute switch
- No headphones output or volume control and it doesn’t come with a shock mount.
Samson Go Mic Portable USB Condenser Microphone
Nowhere else to start really but the Samson Go microphone. It only takes a quick peek at the price tag and the reviews on Amazon to know that this is an exceptional product.
The best word to describe it is clever. Intelligent design in so many ways that make it a gadget as well as a recording device. It has a handy clip to attach to any laptop (it is adjustable).
Many people use this mic for communication services such as VOIP, Skype for instance, but the quality of recording it can create is better than that and makes it ideal for use doing the following:
- Recording instruments (acoustic guitar recordings on the go, anyone?)
- Recording vocals
- Voice chats
- Podcasting (it is an excellent, affordable solution for podcasters)
The recording quality of the Samson Go is better than its pricing point would suggest, it comes with a clip, carrying case, an adapter to fit onto a stand and a USB cable as you would expect. Use with a tablet or phone does require an adapter, but these are not hard to come by. Will it be used on the next Radiohead album? Maybe not, but if you’re a podcaster, or a musician wanting to lay down a demo before going into the studio, this is perfect.
CAD U37 USB Studio Condenser Recording Microphone
I also want to look at something a little more ‘pro’ as an option, but actually, this is remarkably cheap for what it does too.
Neither of the solutions offered here is going to offer Abbey Road style recordings, but this mic is more designed for Guitar and Instruments and has a great frequency pickup for those.
Less gadget and more awesome tool for recording.
A couple of these mics could go a long way to a band creating their first demos, and while it is good for use on vocals, and doing things like voiceovers and podcasting, but features such as its ‘bass reduction’ for recording, are built more with instruments in mind than anything else. This is great for the portable, modern musician.
MXL 990 Condenser Microphone
The MXL 990 is a home studio favorite; both for its low price and durability.
Pricier microphone feel to it. It’s heavy, and nickel plated where the microphone falls short is in it’s boomier low end.
It would probably sound nice on vocals without too much low end, but I’ve heard many rap vocals become “boomy” because of this microphone
. If you have a good preamp, soundproof room, or the right voice, it is a good mic. It makes sense on our list of best budget microphones
MXL Tempo SK Vocal Condenser Microphone
MXL Mic is a great budget microphone; it has a flatter more true sound and tone. It is warm and not too shiny or tinny on the high end. You can equip it with a nice pre-amp or interface, and take this mic to the next level.
A great choice for a home studio. This low priced MXL microphone delivers the same quality sound as the MXL 990, but a little flatter. Depending on your sound needs, MXL has a USB microphone for under $100 that will meet that need.
Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone
If the hands-free approach to recording is what you are looking for in addition to a quality mic at a low price, the Zalman Zm-Mic1 meets the criteria.
Light-weight head-worn microphone allows for uni-directional sound recording while allowing the hands-free user freedom, great for those of us who want to record while gaming easily and also those of us who want to use it to perform live. This mini mic’s body transmitter needed for use when recording quality sound.