Any season of the year is a great time to eat more healthy, home cooked meals — but the spring and summer are especially perfect for picnics! What better way to combine the two than in your very own portable, reusable lunch box?
Perfect for trips back and forth to school, the office, or the park, equipping yourself with the best lunch box can be a real game changer for meal time. They’re a perfect way to save money, eat healthier, and use more of your break time for enjoying yourself rather than waiting in line at a restaurant.
That’s why today, we’ll be introducing you to our seven favorite lunch boxes. In the search for the perfect lunch box in every category, we’ve tested and considered over three dozen models — so we’re confident that the lunch boxes that follow represent only the best of the best.
Curious to see what we’ve chosen? Read on to find out more!
How to Choose the Best Lunch Box
Before you jump at the first cool and convenient looking lunch box you find, we recommend taking the time to consider what exactly you want out of one. To that end, take a look through the topics that we took into account when reviewing lunch boxes for this guide:
What to Look for In A Lunch Box
No matter the style or material of a lunch box, it should have the following attributes that show great quality:
- Good storage space will ensure that you always have enough room to pack your lunch, a beverage, utensils, and napkins.
- Effective insulation keeps cold foods cold, and hot foods hot. It’s essential to enjoying your meals any time of year, but is especially important during the warm summer months. Our favorite lunch boxes include inserts for ice packs, as well.
- Durable construction protects your investment from accidental damage, and is the major difference between a cheaply made lunch box and a high-quality choice.
- Easy portability means choosing lunch boxes that are lightweight, compact, and comfortable to carry.
Types of Lunch Boxes
The three main types of lunch boxes are differentiated by the material that they’re made out of:
- Fabric lunch boxes, often called lunch bags instead, can range from the ultra-lightweight synthetic fabrics to tough, durable polyester canvas. They’re the most versatile category of lunch boxes, and can be found at great prices with a wide variety of features.
- Metal lunch boxes are heavier, but much more durable and better suited to working tough outdoor jobs. They also have the benefit of being naturally better insulated, and can keep foods and beverages cold for a very long time.
- Plastic lunch boxes combine some of the durability of a metal lunch box with the lower prices of fabric lunch bags, but are often prone to cracking or breaking. They’re a lightweight, but somewhat harder to carry option that we don’t choose as often.
Top 7 Best Lunch Boxes Review
1. Best Overall – Packit Lunch Bag
- BUILT-IN FREEZABLE GEL INTERIOR KEEPS FOOD AND DRINKS COOL LONGER THAN ANY OTHER LUNCH BOX
- COMPACT DESIGN IS PERFECT FOR LUNCH FOR ONE
- FREE OF ANY HARMFUL CHEMICALS
- WATER-RESISTANT LINING PREVENTS SPILLS AND LEAKS
- MADE OF DURABLE POLYESTER CANVAS FOR LONG-LASTING PERFORMANCE
- SOME PEOPLE WILL WANT A LARGER LUNCH BOX
- Fully insulated interior
- Adjustable buckle closure handle
- Made from food-safe, non-toxic polyester canvas
- PVC-, BPA-, phthalate-, and lead-free construction
- Built-in freezable gel
- Measures 10” H x 8” W x 5” D
- Weighs 1 pound
With its minimalist design and perfectly reasonable price, Packit’s stiff-sided Lunch Bag offers everything you could want out of a lunch box without putting a stress on your wallet. From its fully insulated interior to durable canvas exterior, it’s an affordable lunch box option that’s built to last.
Water-resistant both inside and out, the Packit Lunch Bag won’t leak or get wet due to condensation or rainy days. We love the adjustable buckle closure on the handle that makes it as easy to attach to your backpack or briefcase as it is to carry in your hands.
Maybe most impressively, though, the Packit Lunch Bag is equipped with a built-in freezable gel interior. You’ll never need to go hunting for your freezer packets, or deal with the mess they make as they thaw; just store it in the freezer overnight, and it’s fully ready to go for your packed lunch in the morning.
2. Best Value – MAZFORCE Original Insulated Lunch Box
- AMAZINGLY AFFORDABLE
- VERSATILE STORAGE OPTIONS WITH MULTIPLE POCKETS
- LARGE VARIETY OF COLOR CHOICES TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR STYLE
- WATERPROOF AND LEAK-PROOF DESIGN PREVENTS ANY SPILLS OR MESSES
- INSULATION COULD BE BETTER
- WON’T KEEP FOOD COLD FOR MORE THAN 2-3 HOURS
- 19 color choices
- Expandable side water bottle holder
- Adjustable buckle closure handle
- Inside mesh pockets and slim back pocket
- Free from PVC, BPA, phthalates, and lead
- Waterproof oxford fabric construction
- Leak proof aluminum inner lining
- Measures 10.2” H x 8.7” W x 4.5” D
- Weighs .5 pounds
Since you’ll likely be carrying your lunch box with you to work or school every day, it’s no surprise that you may want to find one that matches with your unique style. In that case, look no further than the MAZFORCE Original Insulated Lunch Box: An affordable and extremely customizable lunch box that’s available in 19 awesome colors and patterns.
In addition to its colorful decoration, the MAZFORCE features a variety of thoughtful design considerations, from a convenient water bottle holder to a slim back pocket for your phone, wallet, and keys. It’s fully leak-proof and waterproof, making it a great option for anyone who lives in a rainy climate, too.