You are looking for cheap drum sets for sale but you don’t have any idea on which instrument you should spend your money?
Am I right?
You are not alone!
Not at all. 🙂
Finding a cheap drum set is not only a question of luck.
The more you know what’s important concerning a reliable drum kit, the more you will be able to find great but cheap drums for sale on your own.
What is a Drum Kit?
A Drum Kit else known as a drum set is nothing but a set of drums and cymbals that are placed together with the help of stands. This is a mix of different kinds of drums that are combined together in order for the drummer to use. The general drum kit would include a modern kit that is standard which is especially meant for players that are right handed. In this you will get –
- A snare drum which is mounted on a strong stand. This particular drum is placed near the knees and in order to play this particular drum you would need to use sticks.
- The base drum is operated with the help of the pedal and the right foot is used to play this particular drum.
- Another thing that is included in the kit is the cymbals. This can be just one or many depending on the size of the drum kit and in order to play it you require the help of the sticks. When you opt for the beginner set, you get three cymbal pieces, the first being the ride cymbal, the crash cymbal as well as hi hat cymbals which often comes in a pair
Which Kind of Drum Set to Take?
Now that you know and understand the term drum kit, the next thing what you would need to know is if you need to opt for the Acoustic drum set or the Electronic Drum set. Let us understand this in detail-
- The electronic drum set gives you the ability to go ahead and practice your drums with the help of headphones. This is ideal for those who live in houses or flats and do not want to disturb the people living around. They have various kinds of tools that are built in which is helpful during the time of practice. With this kit, the one thing you can be sure of is that your drum sticks will last a longer time. This also has a recording facility so that it gives you a better idea of how you are playing the way it sounds.
- For those who really like the loud sound, the acoustic drum kit is meant for you. Though the loudness can be controlled with the help of silencer pads, these sorts of sets have to be tuned regularly making it a little difficult especially for those who are new to drumming. When you are practicing on such a drum set, you also need to ensure that you use ear plugs otherwise you are at risk of damaging your ears due to the loudness of the sound. These kits are a bit heavy and need a lot of space and if you do not take care of them, it can get scratched or lose its shape easily if the place is damp or it is not kept properly.
Cheap Drum Sets for Sale
In this article I am going to show you my favorite drum sets under 1000,- $ and even under 500,- $ which I have been using during the last 10 years as a drum teacher and session drummer.
During the article I am not just recommending certain drum kits, hardware and cymbals. I will also explain why I recommend it.
This way you will learn to understand what is really important when choosing an instrument.
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links.
That means, at no additional costs to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to buy one of the linked items.
Please keep in mind that I only recommend the items because I have experience with all the companies and I find them useful and recommendable.
Let’s do it
First of all I have to mention that I will not recommend any crappy drum kits for the sake of recommendation.
Any instrument, hardware or component I mention in this article is very durable, sounds good and can be used for recordings, gigs, rehearsals etc.
Now we have come to the meaty part of the article.
Let’s talk about recommendable Drum Sets which don’t cost a fortune like this one here on the right. 🤑💰💵
Find a cheap drum set with the following criteria:
- Good sounding
- Works in many music genres
- Easy to set up
Not easy? 🤔
Let’s have a look at these:
Alesis DM6 USB Kit Five-Piece Electronic Drum Set
Alesis Drums Nitro Mesh Kit 8 Piece Electronic Drum kit is a top quality drum set with cymbal, and percussion. It gives you natural playing feelings while you play this drum set.
Excellent sound with other features make this drum set more unique and valuable. As per your requirement, you can custom the music arrangements. Its rubber band helps to minimize the vibration of the drum surface. This drum kit is for the all drummers. Experts, professionals, music composers, even it can be played by the non-drummers also. Therefore if non drummers are planning to buy a top notch drum kit.
It contains wide range sound module where almost 385 quality sounds of drum with 60 Play Along Tracks has been installed with necessary hardware. While you touch the pads, you feel great. It is completely a new version of the electronic drum set that provides you with all kinds of facilities. It is truly one in all drum kit. As it can be attached with a computer, so you are able to save, edit and record the sound. And as per your requirement, you can design sound tone also.
While you buy this set, following items are obtainable.
- 8 pieces electronic drums are the basic items.
- You also get 385 Sounds top quality drum, cymbal, and percussion sounds.
- Apple USB adaptor is offered with this kit even you can purchase adapter separately.
- User can connect the kit with your iPod or CD player.
- USB-MIDI output and drum-module software is included with drum sets.
- Drummers get Dual-zone snare pad which is suitable for rim click and rimshot.
- 60 Play Along Tracks
- 40 ready-to-play classic AND modern kits
- 8″ Dual-zone snare pad
- (3) 8″ Tom pads
- 10” cymbals: Ride cymbal, hi-hat, Crash w/choke
- 4-post aluminum rack, connection cables, drum sticks, drum key and power supply included
Roland TD-11K-S V-Compact Series Electronic Drum Set
This series is a perfect choice for the skill drummers, but if anyone wants, he or she can use it for teaching or practice purpose. Live performer can also use it for their live performance. Even for recording purpose, it is a suitable drum set.
Though it is an electronic device, still it is priced pretty low which makes it affordable. Even the beginners are able to play this drum set as it is operated so easily that anyone can play it. Wide range sound variations, good quality sound effects are the unique features of Roland TD-11K-S V-Compact Series Electronic Drum Set.
- Large LCD and icon-driven user interface are attached for the users. With the help of it, drummer can operate it with ease.
- USB function is available which helps the users to connect the musical gadget with computer.
- Huge data backup facility available in this device.
- It supports WAV and MP3 format as for playback and songs.
- Height of the drum is 1250 mm and width is 1200 mm.
- 1100 mm is depth and 21.5 kg is weight of the kit.
Brief specification of the kit:
- This kit contains one TD-11 Drum Sound Module
- One PDX-8 V-Pad (Snare) is part of it.
- Three pieces PD-8A toms are available.
- Two pieces CY-8 Cymbal Pads are there and along with one CY-5 Cymbal Pad.
- One piece KD-9 Kick Pad is also included.
- One FD-8 Hi-Hat Controller is offered with the kit.
- One MDS-4V Drum Stand with Extra Trigger Input Jack is offered with the set.
- This drum set is available for sale. One can fetch it up by clicking on the image given.
Mendini MJDS-5-BK Complete 16-Inch 5-Piece Black Junior Drum Set
If any beginner is looking for a realistic experience, he or she can try MJDS-5-BK Complete 16-Inch 5-Piece Black Junior Drum Set. It is one of the convenient options for the trainee. Its effective sound quality is the most attractive feature of this kit. Curved edges and poplar shells produce well-toned & pleasant sound. This light weight musical instrument can be assembled effortlessly. Height of the drums and cymbals are changeable so drummers can fix it as per their height and preference. This drum set is for sale. Therefore new comers can purchase it. And it is expected MJDS-5-BK Complete 16-Inch 5-Piece Black Junior Drum Set is able to satisfy their passion.
Brief specification of the kit:
- General size of the bass drum is 16 inch by 11 inch. And four lugs are there.
- When buyers buy it, they get 10 inch by 5 inch tom and 8 inch x 6 inch toms and 8 lugs.
- 12 inch by 10 inch floor tom is part of the kit with 4 lugs.
- The size of the snare is 10 inch x 6 inch. And four lugs are supplied with it.
- Users can access 8 inch Hi-hat cymbals with stand
- This kit has contained bass drum pedal for the users.
- Its drum throne is quite handy. Drum throne is flexible round padded.
- Adjustable drum throne is the key feature of this set.
Its feasible price rate and long lasting feature and extraordinary sound quality clearly differentiates this drum set from available drum kits. This is among the best drum sets for sale. One can have an access to it by clicking the image on the right.
Acorn Triple – D5 US Digital Drum Kit
Acorn Triple – D5 US Digital Drum Kit is another type of drum kit. Most unique feature of this kit is its impressive sound quality. Anyone can control this kit smoothly. For the music composer, it is one of the best kits as with the help of this kit, he or she makes his or her composition seamlessly because the kit can be attached with computer, and that helps musicians for composing their music.
As it is digital instrument, so from the sound recording to live performance, each and every sector this kit is ideal set. This kit has provided users comprehensive sound option and each pad of the kit has contained velocity curve for sound modulation. Pads are covered with robber coating which helps drummers to play the drums effortlessly. Click on the image given on right and avail these drum sets for sale at a lower price.
- USB connection is accessible with this kit.
- It contains internal library of sound tracks.
- As it has in built mixing capacity, composer is able to make a vibrant fusion with this kit. This system is able to record the sound of the each instrument.
- ¼ inch standard headphone jack with Stereo out and stereo aux input sockets are provided with the kit.
Brief specification of the kit:
- It contains a Snare drum and rim shot zone.
- One kick drum pad is also available.
- Foot controller and Hi-hat round cymbal pad is the part of this kit.
- The kit contains 2 round cymbal pads for splash and ride with 3 toms
- Aluminum stand and metronome are included with this kit.
- A LCD display with 327 percussion and drum instruments sounds are already stored.
- Even practice tracks and demos are offered with this set.
Mendini by Cecilio MJDS-1-BL 3-Piece Drum Set, Metallic Blue
MJDS-1-BL 3 – Piece is among the mos reliable options when it comes to the best drum sets for sale. It is small size drum set but its wood shells and triple flanged hoops help to make the drum set more appropriate junior drummers.
The cost of the drum set is low and it is durable. If someone is looking for good quality Drum set for the junior drummer, it is convenient option. Its better sound quality with multiple features inspire passionate drum players.
While you buy it, first you need to set it up properly. Drums and cymbal are placed on the stand, and these are mounted. Bass drum is included which has to be fixed in a proper place.
Brief specification of the kit:
- 8 inches by 13 inches is the size of the bass drum. Four lugs are provided along with drum.
- Bass drum pedal is presented for the users.
- This set has contained 6 inches by 8 inches mounted tom and four lugs.
- 4 inches by 10 inches Mounted snare is part of this set and four lugs are offered with it.
- There are a number of color variations. Metallic red, blue, green, purple and black colors are available in the market. So as per users’ choice drum color must be selected.
- It has an 8 inches Cymbal with cymbal arm
- Even adjustable padded drum throne, guidance book and two wooden drum sticks are also included with this drum kit.
Gammon 5-Piece Junior Starter Drum Set Metallic Blue Kit with Cymbals Stands Sticks Throne
This drum set is specially customized for the Junior Starters. The brand of this product is Gammon Percussion. 5 pieces junior drum set with Cymbals Stands Sticks Throne is presented with this drum kit. It is an electronic instrument with multiple facilities. This drum set looks more elegant for its blue finish. Glossy metallic effect and chrome rim also enhance the outer look of the drum. This drum set is for sale. So the willing drummers can totally try it, and it is expected Gammon’s new 5-Piece Junior Starter Drum Set won’t disappoint you.
When you buy it, everything would be supplied with this kit. So there is no need to purchase anything separately. Within the kit, all necessary arrangements would be provided for a beginner.
It is the complete package for the learners. So whatever you need to play drums, each and every instrument is supplied for you, so that you can start drumming.
Brief specification of the kit:
- 16 inches 12 Lug Bass Drum is included in this kit.
- Snare drum is incorporated within the package.
- Floor tom and 2 mounted toms are also available for the trainee.
- Hi hat cymbals and crash cymbal are obtainable.
- This kit has contained stands for the cymbals so that users can place them properly.
- Even bass drum pedal is included along with drum sticks.
- It is low price drum set which is perfect drum kit for the beginner.
How to choose the right Drum Hardware
To my mind it doesn’t make sense to buy cheap and crappy drum hardware!
The more you try to save money here, the more often you will have to buy another piece of stands, machines etc.
At the end this will add up and you will not save money at all.
So what should you do?
A good strategy is to spend money on proper and durable hardware.
The Cymbal Stands should be double braced for a good standing.
The Bass Drum and Hihat Machine should have a Double Chain Drive.
Think about this: ☠
Cymbals can be very expensive!
I suppose you don’t want them to fall due to a crappy stand – right?!
Spend your money on great drum hardware packs which I linked to above.
Every drummer has their favorite pair of drums and drum sets. For many percussionists, their favorite is based on personal experience. For others, a favorite was chosen because a musician they loved used those type of drums.
When percussionists decide to shop for drum sets, they typically choose one they personally enjoy playing or one that an idol of theirs played at some point – or, it’s often a combination of the two.
Many famous drummers have had iconic drum sets that many instantly recognize. A great example would be Rick Allen, the drummer for Def Leppard who uses a set that has numerous electronic drums in addition to acoustic ones to accommodate the amputation of one of his arms.
Looking for some inspiration for your next drum set? There are plenty of other legendary drum sets out there – here are four of the coolest ones of all time.
What Makes a Drum Set Cool, Anyway?
Choosing the coolest drum set is a matter of personal taste. Whether you are a traditionalist who likes a smaller kit like Krupa or Starr or you prefer a kit with multiple options to create polyrhythmic grooves like Peart or Baker, there are more than enough options to choose from when looking for a drum set. The key is sitting on the throne and trying out a new set until you come across the one that looks and feels just right.
Best Drum Sets Brands
We have to admit it that the sound of drums is absolutely wonderful to the ears and all music lovers love it. To every individual drummer, a particular brand always arrives as a favorite one. They are totally inclined to that and love playing it.
Personal likings are developed after repetitive usage of several brands. You know what’s best after a certain time. As you hit the right sound with a particular brand, you realize that’s what you want to use. But what are the top drum brands in the world right now? Which ones would you look for, if you are planning to buy one?
Here is the list of the best drum brands:
They have a set for every player, be it the beginner series or the masters. Characterized with exceptional sound quality in economical prices, Pearl is simply amazing in shell quality and hardware. It’s popular for its usage in corps drums, marching drums, and drums used in education.
- DW Drums
It is very hard to differentiate between the drum brands and every company dedicates itself in making the best gear. DW Drums are known for their attention to detailing, it sets them apart. John Good manufactures drums which has an appeal for everyone. It is expensive and the drums are high end, but they are stunning with outstanding quality. Yes, you will have to pay more, but it’s totally justified.
Considering many aspects, Tama offers the best all round performance. It is sturdy and comes with several attachments. Both basic ones and custom made sets are available and these drums have superior longevity. Many rock endorsers are associated with Tama and their prime focus is manufacturing drums for professional use. It is also on the higher part of the price range but it is a good investment. The Star Classic series deserves a special mention.
In the list of great drum brands, Mapex is no stranger; they also have great kits for professionals and first timers. The sound is satisfactory but the cymbals need improvement. They have drums in lower price ranges and they are also of fine quality. It is totally value for money. A lot of experimentation goes in Mapex drums for increased sustainability and better finishes.
Hands down Yamaha is perhaps the best in the business. With constant innovation and development process going on the existing products, it is becoming highly advanced. The groundbreaking YESS technology increases the dynamic range causing lesser vibrations. They have a unique air seal system for keeping the drums moisture free and the humidity doesn’t dampen the audio quality.
They are the trendsetters and all drum brands are compared with Ludwig. A famous name in the industry, they have endorsers like Ringo Starr in their list. It has the vintage style and the company has been around for more than 100 years, making modern kits as well. There will be no questions raised on tonal delivery and built quality, but when the second grade quality was sold by Ludwig, they suffered to some extent.
Things to Consider While Buying Your First Drum Set
Buying your first drum set can be very tricky. You have so many options available; you don’t know what to choose from. You don’t know which one is perfect for you. That’s not a problem, as you are not the only one facing this dilemma. In this article, we will look into the things, which should be kept in mind before owning your very first drum kit. It can be for your kid or for yourself; first drums always make a difference. So what are the basic things that should be considered before buying? The answer is none, it can seem surprising but it’s the truth. As in the beginning stages, taking an expert decision may seem premature.
Before You Buy
A lot of practice needs to be done on the practice pad, in the early stages and a drum shouldn’t be bought in the first few months. After a whole lot of practice, is still there is zeal to go further, a proper investment should be done on the drum kit.
The essentially of practice pad is very high, as it is an asset which will help you throughout your career, a perfect start. Another thing which needs to be discussed here is personal preferences. Every drum kit is unique in its own style and the sound it produces. It really depends on the objectives and leaning of the player. The goals also change with time and as a person matures as a player of the instrument.
So after considering all this, if you are absolutely sure, to buy the drum kit, here are a few important tips:
The Environment where You will Practice
The backdrop of your practice area determines the choice a lot. Some people want the place to be very quiet, while others want it loud. The availability of space is also vital as drums take a lot of area. Some houses have stairs which can help in the loading process. Drum sets which run on electricity are perfect for quite places with small area. Acoustic drums which have muting pads are also an alternative where not much space is available.
The Budget Factor
Music is an art and while practicing art, money shouldn’t be a problem. But practically speaking, to some extent, it is. For beginners, electric sets are perfect. They are all inclusive and costs much less. Buy them, if are not sure whether your kid will continue his/her drumming lessons. For the acoustic ones, the accessories are bought one by one, be it the cymbals, snare, throne or pedals. Even the low end varieties cost more than their electric equivalent.
The Purpose of Use
If drumming is your major focus and you are very serious about it, its fine to make a big investment in a good kit. Moreover, if your kid has developed a deep liking for drums, acoustic ones are what you should get your hands on. The different techniques like hi-hat, rebound, finesse etc., can’t be mastered on electric drums.
To sum up it can be said, that before buying any drum, proper market survey needs to be done along with researching. Find out what you need and the genre you belong to.