Foam rolling is a kind of exercise that is widely known under the category of self-myofascial release or SMR, targeting the tense and overworked muscles. Just recently, this type of technique has gained more and more popularity among the workout enthusiasts that maximize the use of foam rollers.
Which foam roller is best? Our readers have spoken!
SMR is likewise known as deep-tissue massage, usually seen in licensed massage centers and spas. Therapists make use of their elbows, hands, and other tools and pressing directly on a tight area until the tension is released. Meanwhile, a foam roller is used, while treating the legs, arms, back, and hips, releasing the muscle knots and increasing balance and stability all at the same time.
Foam rollers are basically tube-shapes gadgets that aid in working out the muscle knots and other tight spots, which are consistent naggers. These devices are typically used during warm ups and during recovery, following an injury. Thus, these devices can improve the body’s flexibility and the overall muscular health.
So, below are some of the best foam roller reviews, offering you an idea about the best deals of foam rollers on the market, while allowing you to compare each product that will help you in determining what’s best for your needs.
Top Rated best muscle roller Reviews
TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller
||Check Price & Review|
Master of Muscle Foam Roller
||Check Price & Review|
||Check Price & Review|
LuxFit Speckled Rollers
||Check Price & Review|
ProSource Sports Medicine Roller
||Check Price & Review|
RumbleRoller Textured Foam Roller
||Check Price & Review|
Now, we have our own picks, but we think what our readers say is MUCH more valuable to you.
Our readers picked these 10 foam roller exercises as the best options for exercises, lower and upper back massage.
We think they made some great picks this year! For example, this muscle Foam roller is their #1 choice – and it’s a good one!
On this page, you can read THEIR reviews, compare prices AND see which of the Top 10 are on sale TODAY.
1. Trigger Point Grid 1.0 Muscle Foam Roller Review[amazon_link asins=’B006GUC9KC’ template=’withoudtnameProductAd’ store=’thewisy-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f1846e55-fb76-11e7-81cd-43f305cd9991′]
The Trigger Point Grid 1.0 Muscle Foam Roller garners an average rating of 4.5 Stars on Amazon. This device boasts a three-dimensional surface, allowing the tissue to aerate as you roll. It also promotes the healthy blood and oxygen flow that is necessary for repairing muscles.
This is made of hard and hollow core and hand-wrapped in EVA foam, making it firmer than the traditional counterparts. It has an environmental design, which makes use of less foam, including a compact and travel-friendly design.
The weight of the Trigger Point Grid has been tested to support a maximum weight of up to 225 kilograms or 500 pounds of static load. It is among the top rated foam rollers on the market today and available in three sizes – 5 inches, 13 inches, and 26 inches.
It is an EVA foam roll, made of durable EVA materials and is lighter in weight than other varieties. Hence, it is a perfect option for the beginners. Along with your purchase is a one-year warranty from the manufacturer, although it could be one of the most expensive foam rollers today.
Having a good quality massage with the Trigger Point Grid 1.0, Muscle Foam Roller is highly recommended by professionals, testifying about the incredible benefits that it could offer, especially in treating muscle tension. While it could be an expensive option, the Trigger is worth the money as foam roller reviews attest to its unlimited benefits.
Nonetheless, you have to pay for the quality of the item, including its efficiency and durability. And with the Trigger Point Grid, you rest assured that your expectations are met, if not surpassed with this versatile option among the varieties out there. In all, this is an EVA foam roll, which equates to a lightweight design, durability, and efficiency, packed in one.
2. BEST Foam Roller For Muscle Massage – 13″ x 5″ Review[amazon_link asins=’B0158P1DWA’ template=’withoudtnameProductAd’ store=’thewisy-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’38f575b7-fb77-11e7-b139-e1283c2283b5′]
The BEST Foam Roller For Muscle Massage also garners an average rating of 4.5 Stars. This is roller foam that has been designed to be your personal massage therapist. It features a dual pressure zone, allowing you to control the pressure and action simultaneously.
This product will provide you the relief of muscle soreness, exactly where you need it the most. In fact, this is the best Amazon muscle roller you’ll ever find, which is also ideal for the shoulders, hamstrings, quads, knees, neck, as well as the lower and upper back. It is perfect for all sports enthusiasts, ranging from the bodybuilding to the boxing, weight training, and even the sports beginners.
The BEST Foam Roller For Muscle Massage is equivalent to a worry-free training, letting the user go harder for longer. It significantly aids in releasing toxins in the muscles during pre workouts, while speeding recovery so as to achieve an improved performance. This massage roller foam is likewise ideal for injury prevention and rehabilitation.
This variant is lightweight in design, making it very portable. It measures at 13 inches in length, ensuring a compact design to fit in any travel case or a gym bag. Hence, you can easily bring it virtually, almost anywhere and use it any time of the day.
The Foam Roller For Muscle Massage also comes with a free eBook instructional guide, providing the user with a step-by-step physical therapy and exercise. It also comes with a money-back guarantee, giving the buyers a chance to refund if not satisfied with the product. Otherwise, the dealer would send a new foam roller as a replacement.
In a nutshell, the BEST Foam Roller For Muscle Massage is among the best foam roller for back, both the upper and lower back, the hips, shoulders, knees, and neck, and other body parts that need relief from muscle soreness.
3. ProSource Ultra Deluxe Revolutionary Sports Medicine Roller Review[amazon_link asins=’B00EV52HJ2′ template=’withoudtnameProductAd’ store=’thewisy-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’561a65a3-fb77-11e7-a63b-b9a7238ad2ad’]
The ProSource Ultra Deluxe Roller also receives an average of 4.5-Star Rating on Amazon. This foamroller is double the size of the original medicine roller, measuring at 24 inches in length and 6 inches in diameter.
This top rated foam roller has been designed particularly to massage soft tissue and stretch muscle, while relieving tight muscles at the same time. Thus, it is ideal for massaging the lower and upper back, quads, and other large muscle groups. The construction is made of lesser foam than the traditional counterparts.
This is a 13-inch textured fitness gear that is lightweight and a perfect travel buddy. Its textured grooves make it perfect for massaging the deep tissues. Its firm foam covers the firm PVC pipe, which is recommended for post workouts or for those suffering from daily muscle pains.
This variant is also ideal for the runners, working the muscles in a very nice manner as it can create a loose and relaxed feeling with very minimal pain, unlike other equipment. The size of the ProSource Ultra Deluxe is great for the back, although some do not suggest its use on muscles in other body parts.
Hence, this is the best back roller, according to several customer reviews as the central PVC pipe of this version has been significantly useful during their massage sessions. The overall materials used in this equipment are as firm as what others use in their items, thereby; it is very useful and efficient in relieving sore muscles and back pain.
All in all, the ProSource Ultra Deluxe is a must-have fitness gear, especially for those who easily encounter muscles pains and back pains, as this 6 inch foam roller is a very handy tool that can be used anytime, anywhere.
4. EPE Black High Density Foam Roller: 6″x36″, Round, 1.9 lbs per cubic foot (FFP)[amazon_link asins=’B0040NJOA0′ template=’withoudtnameProductAd’ store=’thewisy-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’7815e480-fb77-11e7-9611-bbd9b0eaa240′]The EPE Black High Density Foam Roller is among the best foam rollers on the market today. This molded EPE variety has 1.9-pound/cubic foot density, thereby; it won’t lose its shape, even after a moderate or heavy use.
This high-density foam is perfect in targeting specific muscles for SMR, easing aching muscles and improving the joint range of motion simultaneously. Thus, this gear has a wide variety of uses, including the relief of sore muscles, flexibility and balance improvement, for yoga, physical therapy, and other strength training exercises.
The EPE Black High Density Foam Roller is available in three different sizes, ranging from 6 by 12 inches, 6 by 18 inches, and 6 by 36 inches. These varieties can accommodate all foaming needs. All the more, this fitness gear is made in the USA, ensuring high-grade materials and technology to meet the foam rolling requirements of every customer.
As its name suggests, the EPE Black High Density Foam Roller is an Expanded Polyethylene or EPE, which is excellent for the relief of muscle sore, before workouts, during, and for post-workouts as well. The body weight is basically used to help in increasing the blood circulation towards the soft tissues.
Moreover, this fitness gear can be used in targeting multiple trigger points, improving the range of motion and springiness, while reducing the pain and soreness simultaneously. With this top-rated product, consumers are guaranteed of the relief of different body aches, considering its high-quality materials to address no less than its main purpose.
Over and above, the EPE Black High Density Foam Roller could be the perfect gear in performing the best foam roller exercises, considering its 1.9lb/cubic foot density that will not lose its shape or break down, despite heavy use. Therefore, durability is guaranteed, providing every consumer a long-term relief from unwanted muscle pains.
5. Foam Roller – High Density for Back Pain, It Band, Exercise, Muscles[amazon_link asins=’B01BW2YZ1O’ template=’withoudtnameProductAd’ store=’thewisy-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’91ec1eec-fb77-11e7-8287-336864a8b95c’]
Another 4.5-Star-rated foam roller is the High Density for Back Pain, It Band, Exercise, Muscles. This fitness equipment is firm with the patented recycled high-quality Extruded Polyethylene (EPP) foam, maintaining its shape and durability three times longer, compared to its counterparts.
It is considered as the best device for physical therapy, exercise, stretching, Yoga, the muscles, and for deep tissue massage. Based on foam roller reviews, this tool is perfect when it comes to the size, measuring at 18 inches by 6 inches. It is very lightweight that it can easily fit in any gym bag. It is also convenient to store, unlike the bulky ones.
This fitness equipment is preferred by many enthusiasts for SMR due to its user-friendly feature, while it is more comfortable on the back than rubber rollers. It guarantees a 100% satisfaction as it is made in the USA and definitely designed for its purpose.
With the Foam Roller – High Density for Back Pain, there is no need to go to your therapist of a Chiropractor any time of the day. Simply grab one of this for a 5-minute self massage, getting deep into your muscles and rolling away sore muscles and the tight ones.
This is the best foam for relieving severe pain in the back and shoulders. It is likewise perfect in achieving more endurance, plus faster recovery after workouts. It helps in feeling more refreshed in the morning, while feeling more active during the daytime. It can hit the trigger points in an instant, relieving the muscle knots as it should do.
This amazing tool can change your life entirely, relieving the stressed muscles on any body part. In all, the Foam Roller – High Density for Back Pain is not only designed for the back, but also a full body foam roll that pain sufferers can make the most of.[amazon_link asins=’B01BW2YZ1O’ template=’BuyButton’ store=’thewisy-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=”]
6. Rumble Roller Full Size Original Blue – Textured Muscle Foam Roller Manipulates Soft Tissue Like A Massage Therapist – 31 Inches[amazon_link asins=’B006QMGLWM’ template=’withoudtnameProductAd’ store=’thewisy-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c94cc1c8-fb77-11e7-a229-d98a833da03c’]The is a recommended foam roller, based on reviews. It receives a 4.5-Star rating on Amazon as it features a full size, measuring at 31 inches by 6 inches. It is long enough to roll, even the widest part of your legs and back on just one pass.
It also boasts an Original Density surface, which is designed for people who are new to foam rolling and those who already have obtained positive results from the conventional rollers. It offers firm, but flexible surface, relieving the muscular pain and tightness like what the thumbs do throughout a traditional massage therapy.
The Rumble Roller can stretch the muscle and soft tissues in different directions, breaking down the knots, while increasing your flexibility and relieving the pain all at the same time. This fitness gear promotes higher strength and can tear resistance, provide a wonderful feeling, retains a permanent muscle shape, and guaranteed to outperform and outlast, compared to other products on the market.
Rumble Roller reviews would reveal that similar to a massage therapist, the Rumble Roller Full Size Original Blue can manipulate the soft tissue because the roller’s surface contains specially-designed bumps, which are both flexible and firm. Its bumps knead the contours of your body continuously, while stretching the soft tissue gently in multiple directions. Thereby, this action wears down trigger points to restore flexibility and bring a quick relief to common muscular pain.
By design, the bumps of the Rumble foam roller are firmer that the muscle tissue, however, softer than the bone. Therefore, they deflect out of the way once they contact your spine and different bony protrusions. With simple techniques, you can surely control the amount of pressure that the bumps apply to your body. With a slight shift, however, you can also reduce the contact point, which results in an increased pressure so as to provide deeper and more penetrating relief.
Foam Roller Buying Guide
While the above-mentioned foam roller reviews can be enough as your basis, before any purchase, there are still more things to consider throughout your decision-making on how to choose a foam roller. Below are the most crucial factors that you have to keep in mind, before placing your order.
Types of Foam Rollers
Basically, foam rollers come in varied sizes, shapes, and textures. Among the most important factors to consider, while choosing this gadget is the firmness or density of it. This aspect determines how the roller will feel throughout its use. Generally, the higher density provides a deeper and more intense massage, thus, softer rollers give out gentler massages. It is easier to categorize these fitness gears into the following groups.
- Standard Density – This type of roller has a medium firmness. Its universal quality makes it ideal for exercise and self-massage, providing enough hardness for a deep massage, but still has a moderate cushion. The medium density serves as stable props in Pilates exercises as well as Yoga routines.
- Soft Density – This type has more cushion and ideal for those looking for more comfort. The soft density type produces a gentler massage on the muscles, while the roller maintains its form, despite repeated, heavy use. Therefore, soft density rollers are soft and durable at the same time.
- Firm Density – This type is perfect for those looking for a deeper and more intense massage. Firm density is the answer that athletes are looking for, since they have tense and tight muscles that need a deeper penetration. An intense myofascial release tends to break up constricted fascia, while promoting muscle recovery simultaneously.
Learn About Foam Rolling
Learning about the basics of foam rolling is perhaps the most crucial step, before buying a foam roller on the market. You can rely on a personal trainer or a certain class in the gym to know more about this fitness equipment. These classes usually introduce techniques that make use of this device. Or, you can try out some of the equipment at sports supply stores or at your local gym. Nonetheless, you have to learn about the basics, surrounding this type of physical therapy.
Identify the Main Purpose
You can also narrow down the choices by identifying the main purpose of this fitness gear, whether for tissue massage or will it be dominantly used for workouts that promote balance and core training. Keep in mind that even those half-round rollers can also increase your balance once you stand on it. While it is often used by physical therapists, you can likewise create your personal routine by knowing what do foam rollers do with your overall well being.
Choose the Firmness
Another decision to make is determining the firmness of the foamroller. This factor should be based on the experience level of the user with the gadget. Bear in mind that these fitness gears are color-coded based on their firmness. The white rollers are the softest, while the green and blue has medium density, and the black rollers are the firmest.
The white foam massage roller is ideal for the beginners in roll foaming, and those who are planning on using it for exercises. These varieties are made of piece of polyethylene foam, have the least density, thereby, allowing some movement between the bones, muscles, and the roller. The white variant is able to produce less pain and pressure.
The green or blue rollers are made of closed cell polyethylene foam, commonly known as the EVA foam roll, which is usually used in Pilates classes. These medium-lightly colored varieties are designed for a medium amount of pressure or advanced core-stabilization.
The black, on the other hand, is geared towards the experienced users, desiring hard pressure for self-massage. These are made of polyethylene foam, closed cell, and created under high heat. These are less porous, denser, and smoother.
Frequency of Use
You must also decide on how frequent you will have to use the device. It is highly recommended that for heavy use, the black roller or EVA, which is denser, is just perfect. The white counterpart tends to deform over time, considering the humidity and repeated use. Make sure that the brand you choose guarantees durability and efficiency at the same time.
The size of the massage foam roller is also a major factor to consider. When it comes to half-round varieties, most of these have 6 inches diameter, although the lengths differ between 12 and 36 inches. A 36-inch roller is ideal for massaging your back, since a long one allows a perpendicular rolling to your back without falling off the ends. Long rollers are also used in creating a proper alignment by laying on the roller, but parallel to your spine for full support.
Besides the size, choosing a cheap foam roller could be sensible, according to your available budget. Bear in mind that these fitness gears vary, depending on the materials used and the brand as well. A 12-inch white roller is the least expensive, costing about $15 or less due to the foam’s lesser density.
Meanwhile, the black variant of any size usually cost around $30. This type is already considered a professional-grade roller. The EVA rollers, on the other hand, are gaining more and more popularity today, which are moderately firm and have more comfortable surface. These rollers typically cost up to $45.
Most foam rollers come in long, cylindrical design that has between 3ft in length and 6 inches in diameter. However, there are also specialized rollers that also vary in shapes and sizes.
- Smaller Length – Some rollers are shorter, making them ideal for massaging smaller areas of the body. These are compact and portable, but are often admired by cyclists and runners for use on tight hamstrings and calves.
- Smaller Diameter – Rollers that have smaller diameters that tend to be more stable and lower to the floor. The aging users and physical therapy patients usually benefit from these.
- Unique Texture – While roller foam has a common use – self-massage, others have specialized design such as having ridges or points like miniature spikes. Rollers with ridges provide a deeper, penetrating massage, breaking up fascia on the most compact and tight muscles.
- Unique Shape – For added instability during exercise, some rollers are created with varying shapes and edges. These rollers are commonly designed to achieve core strength, balance, body awareness, as well as the primary purposes of Yoga routines and Pilates.
Main Purpose of Foam Rollers
Trainers and health care professionals have long known about these fitness gears, considering the unlimited health benefits of foam rollers to elite athletes, physical therapy patients, the aging individuals, and many more. The purpose of these fitness gears are mainly geared towards physical exercises and massages.
- Massage – This equipment is a great way in relieving stress and tension throughout the body. Fascia tends to break up, rolling out sore areas and network of tissues that connect the muscles. This technique allows the user to become more flexible, increasing the range of motion, while helping the tight muscles recover from strenuous workouts. The process of myofascial release speeds up the recovery of muscles, allowing the individual to be fully ready for the next competition or workout.
- Exercise – This fitness gear is also used in a wide array of exercise programs. A foam massage roller is commonly seen in Yoga and Pilates routines. Hence, such exercise programs make use of them to create an instability, which is challenging to the core, while promoting balance and strength at the same time. Other forms of exercises with this equipment can also increase the range of motion and flexibility like bending and stretching exercises.
Over and above, how to choose a foam roller is greatly affected by the desired size, type, and the main purpose of the user. While the affordability is also a contributing factor, the quality, efficiency, and durability of this equipment should always be the top priorities throughout your decision-making. Hence, top quality means choosing the most trusted brands of foam rollers on the market.