The best golf rangefinder is obviously very useful for any golfer. Hence, it would be a great tool for those who want to excel in the golf course as it can help in improving the golfing skills while lessening the handicap and saving time simultaneously. Today, the market is offering a lot of these products from different, renowned manufacturers.
The golf Global Positioning System (GPS) is most famous among the golfers and makes their golfing easier. This handheld technology can determine how far the green is, eliminating the need for more time in gathering information and techniques. With a golf rangefinder, there is no need to referring to books or brochures, or looking for markers to identify the distance.
This gadget will do everything for you as you enjoy your golfing experience. And perhaps, the best laser rangefinder can simply make you play faster and more efficient. It can also help in maintaining the quality of your game. Thus, it is a must-have for every beginner and professional golfer. Below are just some of the golf rangefinder reviews that garnered top ratings on Amazon, boasting impressive features, reasonable price tags, and world-class quality.
Best Golf Rangefinder Reviews
1. TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder Review
A reliable golf rangefinder is the TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder that can measure up to 540 yards with a continuous scan mode. It also features a Ping sensor technology, water resistant body, and an overall durable construction.
The VPRO500’s Pinsensor Technology provides a fast measurement of one-yard accuracy, measuring overlapping objects. Hence, it is perfect for measuring golf flags, even hazards in wooded areas. The premium lens display is ultra-clear, boasting its multilayered optics for easy reading and continuous measurement mode.
This golf distance finder is very lightweight, making it portable while featuring a durable body. It is dust and water-resistant, making it ideal not only for golfing, but also for hunting, surveying, and measuring purposes. With a case and Lanyard, carrying pouch, strap, CR2 battery, and a microfiber cleaning cloth, this is a complete package, offering a quick setup and a one year warranty for consumers to enjoy.
The VPRO500 is an advanced system that can rapidly provide an accurately-measured distance of up to 540 yards. The unique optical properties and digital circuit design of this device offer clearer and sharper images under all conditions. The optics can serve as high quality spotting monocular too.
The VPRO500 is the best range finder for golfers as they don’t need to guess how far away they are from the hazard. Thus, the better shot selection is offered. Customer satisfaction is guaranteed with this product’s 60-Day Money-back guarantee, plus a one-year manufacturer warranty.
This golf rangefinder also features three modes, including an advanced pin detector technology, which is perfect for measuring overlapping objects. Its first target priority can measure the distance of the closest subject. Furthermore, the distant target priority mode is helpful in measuring and displaying the distance of the farthest subject. Finally, the ProScan mode allows the user to measure hazards that are in the distance. In all, the TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder is an embodiment of accuracy, quality, and reliability.
2. Nikon 8397 ACULON Laser Rangefinder Review
Nikon features its most compact golf laser range finder, which is the Nikon 8397 ACULON Laser Rangefinder with an average of 4.5 Star Rating in Amazon. This useful golf device measures at 3.6″x2.9″x1.5″, making it very portable. Unlike other rangefinders of its size, this one eliminates unwanted clutters and obstructions, instead offering an easy-to-read screen display, ranging from one meter/yard intervals.
ACULON’s single-button operation results in fast and easy measurements as it is conveniently programmed in displaying the range of the farthest target among a group of measured targets. It is also made from a multi-layer of coatings, providing higher light transmittance across a visible light spectrum.
The ACULON redefines portability due to its ultra-compact size that can even match most smart phones to date. Its palm-sized dimension makes it very comfortable to wear around the neck or to keep in the pocket. Without the batteries, it weighs only at 4.4 ounces. It is among the top golf rangefinders you’ll ever find as it features a Distant Target Priority Mode program, which is very helpful if bushes or grass partially obscure an object being measured.
From a trusted manufacturer, it makes use of the Quality Optics technology by Nikon, featuring a 20mm objective lens and 6x magnification. Thus, there is a long eye relief that also reduces the loss of light brought about by reflection. Therefore, this device ensures a clearer and more natural view.
On top of a trusted brand, these top rated golf rangefinders from Nikon offers rapid accuracy. With a simple push of the button, the device can deliver an accurate reading, ranging from six yards up to 550 yards. Even more, it delivers easy-to-read measurements, while displaying in one yard/meter increments. The Nikon 8397 ACULON Laser Rangefinder embodies instant reading and precision that you can certainly rely on.
3. Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Standard Edition Golf Laser Rangefinder Review
Among the best golf rangefinders is the Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Standard Edition Golf Laser Rangefinder with a 4.5 Star rating. The compact, ergonomic design is equivalent to easy and stable grip, including a 3-volt battery and a carrying case. The overall construction is weather-proof while featuring a single-hand vertical operation with a 24mm objective and 5x magnification. It offers a range finding the performance of 10 up to 1,000 yards, along with yards to flag with +/- one yard of accuracy.
Once the award-winning Pin Seeker Technology is triggered, the JOLT vibration is activated. It eliminates all doubts through the vibrating bursts to reinforce the laser has locked onto the flag. Thus, the jolt allows the golfer to feel the exact distance. The SCAN mode also provides a continuous, updated LCD that you can pan across the landscape. Similar to the Tour Z6, the Tour V4 is also legal for tournament play.
In short, the JOLT technology helps the golfer in search of his target. Based on golf range finders reviews, the Tour V4 equates to precise distance measurements, helping you to acquire flags up to 300 yards away. The 5x magnification feature also provides an accurate reading, plus a better view as objects tend to appear 5 times closer and clearer. The upgraded version of Slope Technology accounts for the slopes on the golf course. Precise reading is more obtainable as distances are adjusted based on the decline or incline on the course.
With its ergonomic design, the Tour V4 sits in your hand comfortably, remaining stable as you plan for your next shot. Since it is legal for tournament play, this device is extremely useful for golfers at all levels who are seeking for an overall improvement. In all, the Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Standard Edition Golf Laser Rangefinder sets the standard for a complete golf rangefinder, considering the feel, overall design and performance.
4. Wildgame Innovations Halo X Ray Z6X 600 Laser Range Finder Review
With a 4 Star Rating on Amazon is the Wildgame Innovations Halo X Ray Z6X 600 Laser Range Finder, featuring a maximum of 600-yard to a reflective target and 6x magnification. This top-of-the-line rangefinder also boasts an Al Slope Accounting Technology, which has the best accounts for incline and decline slopes in the field, plus a water-resistant design with a nylon pouch. Considered the best rangefinder for golf, the Halo XRay 600 is highly capable of measuring distance in both yards and meters. It makes use of a CR2 lithium battery, although it is not included in the package.
This device is not only useful for the golfers, but also the hunters and shooters as it is a perfect tool for both rifle and bow hunting too. Its 6x magnification offers a clearer measure of the distance covered on the course, including high precision rates.
Any golfer can enjoy this gadget, while on the golf course as it features an ease-of-use based on the simplicity of the rangefinder’s build and design. It is an all-weather tool, even in the rain. Among the rangefinders for golf, the Halo XRay 600 offers multiple approaches both in hunting games and in the golf course. It is also one of the most consistent rangefinders you’ll ever get with a very pocket-friendly price tag, compared to other rangefinders on the market.
Durability is assured with this device, considering the high-quality materials, not to mention better ranging and precision levels. All the more, this golf yardage finder comes from a trusted manufacturer, which has been committed to providing efficient, durable, and world-class tools for golfing, hunting, and many other outdoor activities. Certainly, it’s water-resistant and better ranging features make this device a must-have for any golfer out there.
5. Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Golf Laser Rangefinder (US Version) Review
An additional product from Nikon is the COOLSHOT 20 Golf Laser Rangefinder (US Version), boasting a 6-550 yard ranging capability. It is the most portable rangefinder with a shot-to-shot approach. The First Target Priority technology can identify the flagstick from the ground quickly and accurately.
The golfer can easily see what lies ahead, below, above, and behind with clarity and exceptional sharpness due to its integral 6-power monocular feature from Nikon optics. Pushing and releasing the power button for eight seconds, allow continuous measurement scanning, hence, it is perfect for quick measurements and multiple targets.
This golf distance finder garners an average rating of 4.5 Stars on Amazon as it can deliver world-class performance in a lightweight and compact body. The COOLSHOT 20 is an epitome of optical quality, precision, and speed that can help all golfers in developing their club distance proficiency both in their game management skills on the course, and on the driving range.
While it is a small tool, this device is very powerful among Nikon’s lineup of golf rangefinders, delivering ease of use and high precision. It can fit in your pocket comfortably or a golf bag for use on every shot. Furthermore, the materials and technologies used in this tool resulted in a weatherproof rangefinder, allowing continued use during severe weather conditions. Thereby, it can excel, despite poor weather due to its wide temperature tolerance.
The COOLSHOT 20 is also a versatile tool because it can range any object within sight, including bunkers, lakes, hills, doglegs, trees, golf carts, and the flagstick eventually. There is no need for reflectors or satellites in finding the distance to the desired object.
During play, the COOLSHOT 20 can be used in different modes such as the Tee Shot with Dogleg Corner, the Second Shot with a Hazard, and the Approach Shot. The Tee Shot with Dogleg Corner shot allows the golfer to swing without hesitation, while the Second Shot with a Hazard allows the user to measure the distance to the edge of the green as well as the distance to the hazard to play it safe. Finally, the Approach Shot is capable of determining the right approach on every hole. Therefore, the Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Golf Laser Rangefinder is equal to high performance, quality, and portability.
Golf Rangefinder Buying Guide
While in search of the best rangefinder for the money, it is also essential to keep some pointers in mind. Below are lists of factors and tips to consider, before purchasing this product.
Basic Types of Rangefinders
- GPS Rangefinder – The GPS golf rangefinder is known to require lesser time in determining the distance to the hole and other points on the course because this tool can measure known points about the golf course. This type of device requires the golf course to be mapped and sometimes requires the user to pay a monthly fee, depending on the service to be subscribed.
- Laser Rangefinders – On the other hand, laser rangefinders do not require the golf course to be mapped. However, they could take longer in getting a distance measurement than the GPS rangefinder. It can be as accurate as the user of the device.
How to Use a Rangefinder According to Type
- Laser Range Finders – The object to determine the distance from the user must be in view while using a laser rangefinder. It is important to aim the device at the object through the viewport. Once the target is sighted, pull the trigger of the rangefinder that will send the laser beam to your target. After which, the distance read-out will be displayed, but an unsuccessful locked on to a target will result in an error display and will require you to repeat the process.
- GPS Range Finders – When it comes to GPS rangefinders, simply load the course you are going to play from a computer. Today, a monthly subscription is required for this service. The next step is to turn on the GPS at the course, allowing it to obtain the GPS satellite feed. Choose the hole and the available target. Most of the best golf rangefinders will shift to the next hole on the golf course automatically. Meanwhile, you can choose the target or the next hole manually. It is important to check the availability of GPS mapping of a certain golf course, before buying one of this device.
Key Pointers with Laser Rangefinders
Golf courses should have laser reflectors to the flagsticks on the greens for laser range finders to be more efficient in measuring the distance.
- Laser rangefinders require more effort and time in operating them.
- The golfer should have steady hands to get an accurate reading.
- At times, aiming at a larger object is necessary to get an approximate reading.
- Laser rangefinders, especially the cheap ones provide questionable readings and unable to reach long distances.
- Often, they do not have the line of sight required.
- During foggy days, or with frosted and long grass surfaces, there is difficulty in getting a reading with laser rangefinders.
- Needs extra care from scratching the lens.
- More fragile than GPS systems.
- The best golf laser rangefinder could be very expensive, compared to GPS counterparts.
- Laser rangefinders are flexible, allowing the user to find the distance on any target readily.
- Known to be accurate.
- No need to download courses, or to insert them manually.
- Laser range finders do not require subscription fees, although some brands allow the user to download a maximum of 100 maps without subscription fees.
Benefits of Rangefinders to the Golfer
Obviously, this device offers a lot of benefits to the one using it. Here are the most-loved and sought-after by golfers, hunters, and surveyors alike.
- Accelerate Play – The best golf rangefinder can speed up play by eliminating the need to accurately pace out distances through yard markers, including club selection requires less thought.
- Boost Confidence – Indeed, a reliable golf rangefinder eliminates doubts about distances. It is always best to have a few uncertainties while taking a shot.
- Better Decision-making – A rangefinder is very helpful in measuring the distance to different hazards on the golf course; hence, the user can improve his decision-making skills. Planning, according to the risks and attempts is better with this device, while knowing the distances provides the golfer with greater confidence.
- Motivation – Tracking the small improvements that a golfer can make in his game over time is certainly motivational. The user of the device can simply notice these developments with the final score.
- Slopes and Hills Calculation – Golf rangefinders can calculate the effects of hills and slopes, which is a very useful feature among golfers. The user can rely on the comparative distance to the target.
- Data Gathering – The most convenient benefit of this gadget is attributed to gathering data, specifically the distance information on how far the golfer hits each club. Obtaining this information would be very advantageous to other players.
Must-watch Features on a Laser Rangefinder
- Range and Accuracy – The best golf laser rangefinder should feature a maximum range and accuracy, which may vary between 800 and 1,600 yards. Its maximum range depends on the target’s reflectivity, which is largely affected by different factors such as surface, color, size, finish, and shape of the target. Most of the laser rangefinders claim to have an accuracy of within +/- 1 yard. But, recently, manufacturers like Leupold and Bushnell have reduced it to +/- 0.5 yards through their Leupold GX- 3i and GX-4i and Tour V6 products respectively.
- Magnification – The magnification of a laser golf rangefinder should be considered as well as this feature makes the object look closer and clearer compared to what is seen by the naked eye. Today, some rangefinders are without magnification, while others with as high as 7x magnification. Therefore, the higher magnification is equivalent to a higher visibility of the target with higher chances of hitting it.
- Convenience – Another consideration is the ease of use of this device, which largely depends on the specifications like the weight, form, dimensions, battery life, and so on. Both the weight and dimensions help in giving comfort while carrying and handling the device. The form can be in a vertical or a horizontal approach for a better grip. The battery life determines the operating time and also an important factor while shopping for the best rangefinders.
- Added Features – With updates and upgrades, it very crucial to keep in mind the added features of this device. All in all, it should feature efficient technologies and should be equipped with features that can make the entire golfing faster and easier. Among the most sought-after technologies and modes in the best range finders are the Pinseeker, Slope, and Scan.
- Price and Warranty – A reliable rangefinder usually costs between $200 and $700, depending on the features of the product as well as its manufacturer. With the latest technology and update, its price tends to increase, while the manufacturers offer one-year to two-year warranty.
- Eyepiece – Moreover, the eyepiece is a fundamental part of any rangefinder, considering one that can be adjusted and is comfortable even for a long period of usage.
- Standard Versus Slope – Having one with the slope version is more advantageous than the standard as it is highly capable of measuring the real distance, after adjusting the slope. But, keep in mind that this feature is not valid for the tournament. Otherwise, the user must cancel the slope feature to use it for the tournament. Furthermore, the cost of the slope version is pricier than the standard.
Over and above, both the laser golf rangefinder and the GPS rangefinder are convenient, bag-friendly, handheld, and incorporate similar features. These devices allow the golfer to accurately determine the distance without relying on markers that are usually not visible and not in good condition.
Hence, the top rangefinders should be user-friendly both for the beginners and the pros, but choosing between the GPS and the laser rangefinder is essential to narrow down the choices of golf rangefinders for sale and to arrive at the most convenient and helpful device to use on the golf course. Also, check out the golf push cart reviews here.