Fast food is out, and meal prepping is in!
Just ask Harvard University: They cite a wide range of benefits for meal prepping, from saving money and time to helping with weight control, better sports nutrition, and reducing stress.
With just a little bit of time spent planning, grocery shopping, and prepping, you can be on your way towards better health this week.
But to make the best of this nutrition strategy, you’ll also need a great meal prep container to help you carry your new nutrition plan with you wherever you go.
As amateur athletes and on-the-go professionals, we’ve been meal prepping for years now — and want to pass our knowledge on to you.
That’s why we’ve put together this guide to the 7 best meal prep containers for every budget, including both glass and plastic options.
In it, you’ll find plenty of helpful tips and tricks to make your meal prep journey smooth and easy, from how to choose the best meal prep containers to our top picks for single containers and larger sets.
No need to wait, let’s get started!
Top 7 Best Meal Prep Containers Review
1. Best Overall – Masthome Glass Airtight Food Storage Containers with Snap-on Locking Lids set
- LARGE VARIETY OF SIZES AND SHAPES FOR PACKING AWAY MEALS AND SNACKS FOR THE WEEK
- MEALS CAN BE REHEATED RIGHT IN THE CONTAINER
- NESTABLE DESIGN MAKES THEM EASY TO STORE WHEN NOT IN USE
- LIDS SNAP DOWN FOR AIRTIGHT SEALING
- EXCELLENT PRICE FOR A SET THIS LARGE
- LID FIT CAN RUN TOO TIGHT OR TOO LOOSE, MAKING THEM EITHER HARD TO CLOSE OR NOT COMPLETELY AIRTIGHT
- 3 round containers,3 square containers,3 rectangle containers 9 matching lids
- Microwave, oven, freezer, and dishwasher safe
- Snap-locking airtight lids
- Completely BPA-free construction
While Instagram might give you the impression that meal prepping is all about symmetrical layouts of equally-sized containers, the reality rarely fits into such uniform boxes.
That’s why we love this 9-container set from Masthome — it contains just the right mix of sizes to allow for both evenly portioned meals, and larger or smaller containers for everything else you’ll be eating during the week.
Think of the “Masthome” set as your all-in-one solution to meal prep and food storage. Completely safe to use in the microwave, oven, freezer, and dishwasher, the thick glass bases of each of these meal prep containers are also nestable. It’s perfect for anyone short on storage space who still wants the utility of a full storage set.
In short, there’s no meal prep container set that we think is better for a majority of people. For everyone from beginners to expert meal preppers, the Masthome Glass Airtight Food Storage Containers Set is a great option.
2. Best Value – Table To Go 50-Pack Bento Lunch Boxes with Lids
- STURDY ENOUGH TO USE MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT ALSO GREAT AS A RECYCLABLE SINGLE-USE OPTION
- TIGHT FITTING LIDS MAKE THESE BETTER THAN MANY OTHER TO-GO STYLE MEAL PREP CONTAINERS
- BPA-FREE PLASTIC WON’T LEACH ANY HARMFUL CHEMICALS OR FLAVORS INTO YOUR FOODS
- EASY TO CLEAN THANKS TO BEING DISHWASHER SAFE (ONLY ON THE TOP RACK)
- WEAR OUT FAIRLY QUICKLY
- KIND OF EXPENSIVE FOR BEING TO-GO CONTAINERS
- Includes 50 containers and 50 lids
- Lids seal airtight
- FDA-approved BPA-free plastic construction
- Stackable design
- Top rack dishwasher safe
Still not so sure about this whole “meal prep” thing?
Wondering whether you’ll stick with it once you try it out? Then the Table To Go 50-Pack Bento Lunch Boxes with Lids is the right choice for you.
With 50 containers and 50 matching airtight lids, you’ll have everything necessary to get started with your first month or more of meal prepping.
The containers and lids are stackable and space-saving, as well as completely food safe and BPA-free.
Capable of multiple uses but designed for easy on-the-go eating and recycling the Table To Go Bento Lunch Boxes is the largest set of containers available at this low of a price.
If you think meal prepping might be the right choice for you, but don’t want to commit to the cost of a full glass set, consider this set as an inexpensive alternative.
3. Most Durable Meal Prep Container Set – Lock & Lock Easy Essentials 9 Container Food Storage Container Set
- INCREDIBLY INEXPENSIVE FOR A SET THIS LARGE
- HARD PLASTIC CONSTRUCTION IS SURPRISINGLY DURABLE
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY PROTECTS YOUR INVESTMENT FROM DAMAGE
- LOCKING LIDS PROVIDE AN AIRTIGHT SEAL
- CONTAINERS DO NOT NEST OR STACK
- INDIVIDUAL CONTAINERS ARE FAIRLY SMALL
- Set includes one 5.6 oz, (2) 12 oz, (2) 16 oz, (2) 28.8 oz, and (2) 33.6 Containers with matching lids
- 4-hinge locking lid system rated for up to 3 million uses
- 100% airtight seal
- BPA-free hard plastic construction
- Microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe
- Limited lifetime warranty
No other meal prep containers in our testing could live up to the durability provided by the Lock & Lock Easy Essentials 9 Container Food Storage Container Set. It’s actually the longest-lasting plastic container set that we’ve ever seen, thanks to its proprietary locking lid system that’s designed for up to 3 million uses.
Featuring containers in a variety of sizes, it’s not a perfect option for prepping large batches of a single meal — but works very well for balanced meal choices throughout a week. The BPA-free plastic is microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe.
Amazingly, this entire set comes with a limited lifetime warranty as well. If you’re looking for just one meal prep and food storage set to last you for a decade or more, the Lock & Lock may be the right choice for you!
4. Best Glass Meal Prep Container Set – Pyrex Storage Plus 9 Container Food Storage Set
- EXCELLENT STARTER SET FOR FIRST-TIME MEAL PREPPERS
- THICK GLASS BASES ARE DURABLE AND LONG-LASTING
- CAN REHEAT AND EAT MEALS IN THE SAME CONTAINER
- PLASTIC LIDS ARE EASY TO PUT ON AND TAKE OFF
- SPACE-SAVING NESTABLE DESIGN
- LIDS WILL WARP IF PUT THROUGH THE DISHWASHER TOO MANY TIMES
- SEAL IS NOT PERFECTLY AIRTIGHT OR LEAK-PROOF
- Set includes (1) 8.1 oz, (1) 48.7 oz, (1) 56.8 oz, (2) 16.2 oz, (2) 32.4 oz, and (2) 24.3 oz containers, with matching lids
- BPA-free plastic lids are top rack dishwasher safe
- Made in the USA
- Microwave, oven, and freezer safe
Pyrex is a well-known name in kitchen glassware thanks to its reputation for producing top-quality, ultra-durable bakeware.
The same can be said of this marvelous 9-container glass food storage set: Its thick glass bases are built to last, and can pull double duty as both a storage container and handsome vessel for eating your meal out of.
Containing a variety of storage sizes, this set is best suited to beginners and first-time meal preppers.
It will give you plenty of flexibility for making extra portions of any meal to repurpose throughout the week — but it’s not designed for making large batches of a single meal.
Overall, this set from Pyrex is surprisingly inexpensive given its high quality.
If you don’t need to have all your meal prep containers match perfectly in size, it’s a fantastic option for the price.
5. Best Individual Glass Meal Prep Container – Pyrex Storage Plus 6 Container Food Storage Set
- UNIFORM SHAPE AND SIZE IS GREAT FOR PORTIONING OUT EVEN MEALS
- THICK AND DURABLE GLASS IS SHATTER-RESISTANT AND OVEN SAFE
- 3 CUP STORAGE CAPACITY IS IDEAL FOR A SINGLE MEAL
- LIDS SOMETIMES DON’T FIT AS EXPECTED
- QUITE EXPENSIVE
- Set includes 6 containers and 6 lids
- Microwave, oven, freezer, and dishwasher safe
- Each container measures 1.75” H x 7.5” W x 5.5” D
- Stain resistant borosilicate glass construction
- BPA-free snap-on plastic lids
Exceptionally durable and safe for use in the microwave, oven, freezer, and dishwasher, this set of 6 glass food containers from famous kitchenware manufacturer Pyrex is an expensive but perfectly outfitted solution for making a week’s worth of lunches.
Stain-resistant and nearly shatterproof thanks to its thick borosilicate glass construction, the Storage Plus containers from Pyrex are certainly worth investing in. A 3-cup capacity is ideal for a single meal, and the snap-on plastic lids create a leak-proof seal that will make your lunches easy to transport safely.
6. Biggest Meal Prep Container Set – Fitpacker XL Meal Prep Containers Set
- HUGE SET PROVIDES PLENTY OF OPTIONS FOR PREPPING DIFFERENT SIZES OF MEALS
- EASY LOCKING LIDS GIVE AN AIRTIGHT SEAL
- CAN BE STACKED OR NESTED TO SAVE SPACE IN YOUR CABINETS, FRIDGE, OR FREEZER
- DISHWASHER SAFE FOR EASY CLEANUP
- QUITE EXPENSIVE FOR PLASTIC STORAGE CONTAINERS
- LIDS WARP OVER TIME AND DON’T SEAL AS WELL
- Set includes 16 containers and matching lids
- 100% BPA-free plastic construction
- Stackable and nestable design
- Airtight sealing lids
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
Have you already experienced the benefits of meal prepping, and want to go all in?
Or maybe you’re doing meal prep for a whole family?
Either way, equipping yourself with a set as large as Fitpacker XL Meal Prep Containers Set will give you an incredibly versatile array of food storage and meal prep options.
Fully stackable and nestable, the Fitpacker XL is as easy to store as it is to use. The hard, BPA-free plastic construction is durable and stain-resistant, giving it a leg up on many other plastic containers.
Add in completely leak-proof, airtight sealing lids, and it’s clear to see why this big meal prep set is great for almost anyone.
7. Best Divided Meal Prep Containers – EasyLunchboxes Snack Box Food Container Set
- DIVIDED COMPARTMENTS MAKE IT EASY TO STORE TWO SEPARATE FOODS FOR YOUR MEALS
- STURDY PLASTIC CONSTRUCTION MAKES THEM QUITE REUSABLE
- NESTABLE DESIGN SAVES ROOM IN YOUR CUPBOARDS
- LEAK-PROOF LIDS KEEP FOOD SAFE DURING TRANSIT
- PRETTY EXPENSIVE FOR TO-GO CONTAINERS
- LIDS ARE NOT LEAK-PROOF
- Includes 4 container bases and 4 lids
- BPA-free plastic construction
- Microwave, freezer, and top rack dishwasher safe
- 3 compartments in each container
A compact alternative for a to-go style meal prepping, the EasyLunchboxes containers is a set of 4 deep and divided meal prep containers that’s designed for optimizing your macronutrient profile with ease.
The Fugate containers are heavier duty than the takeout containers you might get from a restaurant, but not nearly as long-lasting as other plastic options we tested.
This makes them a good in-between option for people who need the recyclability of a to-go container, but want a good value out of their disposable options.
Our gripe with these otherwise-wonderful containers is their cost.
Nearly as expensive as plastic containers that are meant for extended use, they seem overpriced in relation to their durability.
Still, they’re possibly the best option out there for anyone looking to buy a heavy-duty to-go container.
Final Verdict: The Best Meal Prep Containers for the Money
If you want just one meal prep container set that can do it all, the Masthome Glass Airtight Food Storage Container Set is perfectly suited for a single person. Featuring a wide variety of shapes and sizes with perfectly airtight and leak-proof lids, it’s an affordable and versatile option for all your meal prep needs.
For a lower-priced introduction to meal prepping that can be taken on the go and recycled, the Table To Go 50-Pack Bento Lunch Boxes with Lids is an excellent alternative to our top choice. If you’re not quite sure whether meal prepping is the right nutrition strategy for you, they offer an inexpensive way to test the waters.
How to Choose the Best Meal Prep Containers
If you’re totally new to meal prepping here are some helpful tips. It will help to consider the following three topics before jumping right into buying your first containers.
How Many Meal Prep Containers Do I Need?
While it’s tempting to buy enough containers for every meal of every day right away, we don’t recommend committing to this large of a purchase at first. It’s usually much better to get your feet under you by practicing with just one meal per day at most, as this is a reasonable amount of food to prepare in your home kitchen without buying new, specialized equipment.
Many first-time meal preppers do well with just 3 to 5 meal prep containers — enough to save time by making one big batch of food, but not so many as to require a whole day of meal prep. Once you’re comfortable making lunches for yourself for a week, consider getting a larger set of containers to up your game.
What to Look for in Meal Prep Containers
Four simple things will make your search for meal prep containers fast and easy. Always pay attention to the container’s:
- Size. Ideally, each meal prep container will perfectly fit a variety of meals without taking up extra storage space in your bag or cabinets. Most meal preppers will eventually settle on 3 or more sizes of containers to accommodate their various meals.
- Sealing. A meal prep container is only as good as its ability to keep your meal intact. Look for containers that create an airtight and leak-proof seal.
- Durability. The last thing you want is for your meal to break and spill inside of your bag or refrigerator. Whether plastic or glass, be sure to look for containers that feature a thick, durable construction.
- Cleaning. Once you’re finished with your meals, how easy is it to clean the containers? The simpler your cleanup, the more likely you’ll be to spend more time on prepping for next week.
Types of Meal Prep Containers
No matter the size or shape of the meal prep container that you choose, the main differences will come down to the material that they are made out of.
Glass meal prep containers have the benefit of being oven-safe, and are almost always odor and stain resistant as well. While thinner glass products can be prone to breaking, thick and high-quality glass meal prep containers are quite durable.
Plastic meal prep containers range from the ultra-cheap, thin plastic disposable style to long-lasting, hardened plastic that’s perfect for camping. Even the best plastic containers have a tendency to hold in odors and stains, though.