Picture this: You’ve just finished designing and decorating your patio space, and everything is in place.
The furniture is comfortable yet stylish, the fire pit is cozy and inviting, and the grill is ready for meals any time of day.
It’s a beautiful image, right?
The reality of your backyard paradise, however, is often spoiled by clutter —
— the little items like yard work tools, kids’ toys, and patio accessories that detract from your enjoyment of the outdoor sanctuary you’ve designed.
That’s why we always recommend finding the right outdoor storage to complement your patio, backyard, pool, or fire pit. It’s the perfect way to keep everything properly organized, and maintain the exact feel of escape that outdoor spaces make possible.
In this article, you’ll get an inside look at our process for deciding on the best outdoor storage solutions for any budget —
—from high-class hardwoods to inexpensive resin molding that doubles as seating.
If you’re still wondering what makes one outdoor storage solution better than another, read through our helpful buyer’s guide to acquaint yourself with everything you need to know to make an informed decision. Read on to find out more!
How to Choose the Best Outdoor Storage
When considering outdoor storage for your home, you should take the following topics into account:
Who Needs Outdoor Storage?
In short, anyone who has a backyard, patio, pool, or fire pit will eventually need outdoor storage because If you have valuable equipment like outdoor lanterns, lawn mowers, yard canopies, or even fire logs, then a storage is a serious consideration. As you continue to accumulate all the necessary tools and accessories to make your outdoor life more enjoyable, they can start to disrupt the nature-meets-home feel of your outdoor space. The best outdoor storage solutions will help you stay in charge of your space and prevent unsightly messes.
What to Look for In Outdoor Storage Solutions
Four things make the difference between the perfect outdoor storage for your needs, or a product that will only lead to disappointment:
- Solid construction is essential, no matter what material your outdoor storage container is made from. We look for heavy-duty design especially at the hinges and corners, where inferior products will fall apart first.
- Weatherproof coatings or materials are a must for outdoor storage solutions, as these will to protect your outdoor garden equipment along with whatever items you have stored in them safe and unharmed.
- Appropriately sized storage solutions will vary from person to person. Ask yourself what you plan on storing in them, and then purchase something one size up — you’ll always end up with more things to store later.
- Attractive storage solutions cost little more than their unattractive cousins, and are always worth spending a few extra dollars on.
Types of Outdoor Storage Containers
Available in a wide range of sizes and configurations, outdoor storage containers can be broadly classified by the type of material they are made out of. Let’s look at the advantages and disadvantages of each material in more detail:
- Wood storage containers are often naturally weather resistant, heavy duty, and aesthetically pleasing. They can be more difficult to move and reposition though, and are more expensive than containers made of other materials.
- Wicker storage solutions are lightweight, naturally weather resistant, and quite handily double as seating. They’re significantly less durable than wood or plastic outdoor storage solutions, though, and can be easily damaged by children or pets.
- Plastic containers are the most common type available, and often the cheapest. Unless they’re hardened with resin, they can be prone to sun fading, cracking, or breaking at articulation points.
Top 9 Best Outdoor Storage (2021 Reviews)
1. Best Overall – Leisure Season Medium Wood Storage Shed
- HUGE STORAGE SPACE FOR ALL YOUR OUTDOOR GOODS
- DIVIDED INTO STORAGE AREAS FOR SMALL, MEDIUM, AND LARGE ITEMS
- BUILT-IN HOOKS MAKE IT EASY TO STORE HANGING OBJECTS
- DURABLE AND WEATHER-RESISTANT CYPRESS WOOD CONSTRUCTION
- TONGUE AND GROOVE JOINING IS BUILT TO LAST FOR DECADES
- TOOLS REQUIRED (BUT NOT INCLUDED) FOR ASSEMBLY
- Made from decay-resistant Cypress wood
- Two shelves on one side for holding tools and accessories
- Open storage on the other side for larger items
- Integrated hooks for hanging items
- Tongue and groove construction
- Medium brown stain and a protective coating finish
- Measures 59 W x 31 D x 65 H inches
- Weighs 110 pounds
As far as outdoor storage goes, there are two main options to take: You can choose something that’s fast and cheap, or go for a more thoughtfully designed and built option that’s made to last.
In our experience, the extra cash spent on attractive, durable outdoor storage options will pay for itself quite quickly by actually protecting your stored items from weather damage.
Perhaps no other outdoor storage solution we tested does so better than the Leisure Season Medium Wood Storage Shed.
It’s perfectly sized for patio and yard equipment and accessories, with plenty of divided storage compartments to keep everything neat and tidy.
Made from naturally weather-resistant hardwoods and built with hand-crafted joinery, it’s a beautiful storage solution that will last for generations. We strongly recommend it for use with any backyard or patio.
2. Best Value – Keter Java 230 Gallon Resin Deck Box
- INCREDIBLY LARGE STORAGE SPACE IS TOP-LOADED, WIDE, AND DEEP
- HEAVY-DUTY RESIN IS TOUGH AND DURABLE
- MOST STORAGE SPACE FOR THE MONEY OF ANY ITEM WE REVIEWED
- COMPLETELY WEATHER-RESISTANT, AND EXTREMELY EASY TO CLEAN
- LOCKING LID CAN ALSO SUPPORT UP TO 100 POUNDS ON TOP
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY PROTECTS YOUR INVESTMENT FROM ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE
- FULL ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
- Polypropylene resin construction
- 230 gallon storage capacity
- Lockable lid
- 100 pound weight capacity on top of lid
- Water-, weather-, uv-, and mildew-resistant
- 2-year limited warranty
- Measures 33.85 H x 57.5 W x 32.67 D inches
If you’re on a tight budget, you may be tempted by the glut of low-cost plastic outdoor storage containers. While these might do in a pinch, there’s a better option: Polypropylene resin, a plastic polymer that’s designed to look better, last longer, and be completely weatherproof.
Keter’s amazingly spacious 230-gallon “Java” deck box is made from hard-cast resin, and is specifically built to withstand the toughest outdoor use possible. Easily able to double as bench seating, it’s a versatile and attractive option for anyone with less cash to spare for their outdoor storage solutions.
Add in a 2-year warranty to protect your investment on this resin deck box, and it’s easy to see why we consider it to be the best value-priced purchase for outdoor goods.