So you’ve decided to get in on the paintball action.
Maybe this is just the hobby that you need that will double as exercise – something that keeps you active but remains more fun than jogging on that treadmill you have in your basement gathering dust.
Or maybe you just like to shoot things. Either way, you need a paintball gun, and you’ve come to the right place.
You will definitely need some gear before you get your paintball game on. You could always have your first battle somewhere that offers you gear to rent but as you get to being a seasoned pro you will want to have your own gear and that starts with the paintball gun.
Since you are new to this and known little to nothing about paintball guns we have complied this piece to help you make the best choice for your first paintball gun.
Read on to find out what to look for in a good paintball gun and why these features are important.
Every brand of paintball gun out there has their advantages and disadvantages and in the end, the choice is up to you, so let us make a few things a little clearer for you.
ADVANTAGES OF A GOOD PAINTBALL GUN
While the efficiency of hitting the target is largely up to the skills of the shooter, a good paintball gun gives the shooter the advantage of being more efficient at making the shots that will count as points in your game. A semi-auto paintball gun will fire one shot each time you pull the trigger but a full auto gun will fire a stream of paintballs when you hold down the trigger. As such, a good paintball gun will more than likely be a full auto gun especially if you are not consistently accurate with your shooting.
As a beginner, you will find that a lot of the paintball fields that allow you to rent gear will have mechanical markers for you. This is all well and good for your first couple of games. However, an electro pneumatic marker will allow you to be more consistent and thus more accurate with your shots. A good quality pneumatic marker will also use less compressed gas, which allows you to fire more shots. The elector pneumatic markers are also easier to shoot since there is less compression than that of mechanical markers.
VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY
It goes without saying that a good quality paintball gun will more than likely cost more than your average paintball gun. If you want, a marker that will last you for a while it is definitely a good choice to purchase a gun that is a bit pricier. There are of course good quality ones on the market that come at affordable prices so price is not the only determining factor when it comes to finding a top quality gun. However, most often than not the guns that are priced a bit higher have better features which help enhance your gameplay.
A good paintball gun will not bog you down and will be lightweight. This is ideal especially in longer games and in woods games. A lighter gun will help to keep you light on your feet and will ensure that you do not get tired throughout the game. Being able to stay alert and agile during a long game can mean the difference between going home with first place or end up being the losers.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A PAINTBALL GUN
- Budget. The first thing you need to do is set a budget but to ensure that it is realistic you want to check around for prices to know what price range you can expect. Paintball can become very expensive and establishing your budget from the get go can help to ensure that you do not go overboard and spend too much in acquiring your paintball gun. In addition, the gun is not the only thing you need when it comes to gear so you want to have enough money to purchase everything else that you will need for your game.
- Game Variant. There are different types of games you can play and knowing, which one you will be playing most of the time is a big determining factor in what type of marker you need to purchase. Your options will be woodsball or recball and speedball. Woodsball as the name suggests is played outdoors and is inspired by real scenarios. Guns for this game type are more realistic in looking like real firearms. Markers made for woodsball are usually more durable. Guns used for speedball are usually colorful and have faster rates of rapid fire.
- Maintenance. Paintball games get messy. You will need to clean your markers after your games. If you are not the type to be meticulous at cleaning things you want to choose a paintball gun with the least possible maintenance needs. More advanced guns tend to mean more maintenance, which means there are more possibilities for things to go wrong (these tend to be the guns that are more fun). This leads us to the next point of what to look for, as maintenance is also dependent on if it is powered by CO2 or compressed air.
- Firing Component. Your two choices for firing component are CO2 and compressed air. The first paintball guns used CO2 but nowadays the more modern type of guns are using compressed air otherwise known as HPA. Markers with a CO2 firing component give uneven shot power and are less efficient than those with a compressed air firing component. Compressed air does have a number of advantages over CO2 such as allowing you to fill up your tank less often and allowing your gun to be lighter. Compressed air is safer since it is less volatile and it will provide you with a more efficient shot each time.
Now you must be interested to know that which guns are more suitable for being a better player and can help you shooting paintballs on opponents in a better way. Do not worry, as we are going to give you a detailed report of the guns features, prices and their usefulness. Let us have a look at the top best paintball guns, their parts, prices and the areas in which they would be more useful.
Reviews of the Top Best Paintball Guns
Tippmann Cronus Tactical
If you are looking for a beginner or intermediate paintball marker gun then you can take a good look at the Tippmann Cronus Tactical Paintball Marker Gun.
This paintball gun provides you with great durability due to its milsim body and gives the highest performance out on the paintball field.
It provides you with all these features while being easy on the hands with soft over molded rubber grips.
Features of the Tippmann Cronus Tactical
This paintball marker is durable, highly functional, yet comfortable to use and lightweight.
If you are a beginner and are looking for a more powerful marker then this can be a good pick for the money.
- High-Impact Composite Body. With a mislim body this paintball gun is highly durable. It will live up to the rigors of the game for years to come and will last until you decide to replace it just because you need something more.
- Mods. The Cronus Tactical comes with three main mods. These include an adjustable stock, a carry handle and a mock silencer. The mock silencer comes with front sight and stock is collapsible and adjustable to 6 different positions. The carry handle features a vertical grip and also has an integrated sight. All these mods help to give the gun more of a real life military look and if you are really into your game you will want to look the part. These are not the only modifications that can be done to this gun though, as it features four picatinny rails which give you the opportunity for more mods as you feel necessary.
- In-line Bolt System. This system ensures the reliability of your gun during game play. If you have to stop you won’t have to stop for long as this feature allows you the opportunity to fix your load quickly if it has become compromised without having to dismantle the gun. This gives you the ability to stay in the game play.
Advantages of the Tippmann Cronus Tactical
- Comfortable. The Tippmann Cronus paintball gun allows for comfortable gameplay. With its soft over molded rubber grip and its lightweight composite body the gun provides users with great gameplay.
- Effective Range. The Cronus has an effective range of around 150 feet. That is a great aid in your woods games as it allows you to get your target from far away and still remain out of sight to other players that are still in the game.
- Internal Gas Line. Having an internal gas line it is easy for a player to switch the gun between hands during gameplay without losing focus on the gameplay.
- Fully Modifiable. This is thanks to the four picatinny rails so users can add whatever accessories they think will enhance the functionality of the gun and their gameplay.
Things to Be Aware Of
The Tippmann Cronus is one of the heavier paintball guns on the market, weighing approximately 4.8 lbs., a fact you may want to consider prior to purchase.
The Tippmann Cronus is a good buy for beginners and intermediate players alike. It is ideal for woodsball and looks the professional part while being highly durable yet still comfortable and easy to use.
The Tippmann Cronus Paintball Marker Gun Player Package features a tactical semiautomatic paintball marker.
It is constructed of aluminum for a multiposition and adjustable stock. It works with either compressed air or Carbon dioxide.
The package comes with a carbon dioxide tanker, barrel blocker, squeegee, 200 counts loader, hopper, and 50 paintballs.
It combines performance and durability in an attention-grabbing milsim body.
Features of the Tippmann Cronus
The Tippmann Cronus has a marker that has a raised sight rail and carry handle.
With its included gear you get almost all the things you need to start playing paintball in just one purchase.
- Mock Silencer. This ensures that there is no noise when you are using it and this enhances game play by not giving away your position. Unlike other guns, the silencer ensures that you get ample time with no destruction from within or without. It also has a carry handle and adjustable stock to ensure the best performance and mobility.
- Internal Gas Line. This ensures that there is enhanced comfort, maneuverability, and control. It allows you to determine the gas that you will have in the Tippmann Cronus Paintball Marker. You are also in a position to determine the amount of gas you can release per second.
- Four Picatinny Rails: The Cronus in the Tippmann Cronus Paintball Marker Gun has four Picatinny rails for easy modification and to make it fast. It also utilizes Tippmannu0092s which is a proven in-line bolt system.
- Customized Response Trigger: The trigger is easy to use as it is customized to fit the user’s needs. Once you have this you will find that your gun is easier to use thus making your gameplay more enjoyable. Best thing is it doesn’t require intense training so you can start using it as soon as you get it.
Advantages of the Tippmann Cronus
- Lightweight Design. The Tippmann Cronus has a 98 platinum serial flat line barrel which makes it light weight. Additionally, it is made of aluminum which also makes it light weight. It also uses compressed air or carbon dioxide which reduces the weight and it also has a standard paintball marker air system.
- High-Performance. The in-line bolt system ensures that the system is of high-performance. The other features such as the internal gas line and the customized response trigger also enhance its performance. The mock silencer, which is an advanced feature in the Tippmann Cronus, also enhances its performance.
- Easy to Accessorize. With the multi-position adjustable stock, this paintball marker gun is easy to accessorize. The aluminum also makes the paintball marker gun easy to accessorize. It also works with features which are easily available such as the JT Raptor goggle, squeegee, and 200 count loader. They also provide a manual that gives you the guideline on how to accessorize it.
- Highly Durable. The Tippmann Cronus is made of aluminum which is one of the most durable metals. It can hold up to 6 pods.
Things to Be Aware Of
Users should note that the tank is not included in the Tippmann Cronus Paintball Marker Gun Player Package. Thus, they need to purchase it separately.
The Tippman Cronus is one of the best overall paintball guns on the market today, used by both professionals and part-time players alike. It’s impressive combination of features & value at its price-point make it a favorite on the paintball gun market.
Tippmann 98 Platinum
The Tippmann 98 Paintball Gun has more than 5 update features which put you ahead of the game.
It is one of the most paintball markers that are easier to upgrade, maintain and modify. It also has a new quick thread flat line barrel that saves the players significant effort and time.
The Tippmann 98 Platinum is fully compatible with CO2, nitrogen or compressed air.
Features of the Tippmann 98 Platinum
The Tippmann 98 Platinum offers a platform where you can customize the look and upgrade the performance when you are ready to get more serious about your games. The Key features that you can use to upgrade include response trigger, cyclone feed system, and e-trigger kit.
- Easy to Remove Power Tube. The power tubes are easily detachable making the system easy to clean and to maintain. This ensures that the system stays clean prolonging its life span. You only need to remove the parts and clean it carefully then attach it back.
- Anti Chop Technology: This is a patented design that eliminates ball chopping and ensures that there is constant performance. The technology improves the ball accuracy. It also maintains ball velocity shot after shot while minimizing paint breakage.
- Split Receiver Design. The Tippmann 98 Platinum provides an access to all the internal components for simplified installation of the upgrades and accessories.
- Trigger Pins & Secure Front Site Spring. This features makes it easier to reassemble and service. As a result, you get the opportunity to access the system easily and to upgrade the system with much ease. The trigger speed is also up to 8 shots per second.
- Full Depth Pockets for ASA: The pockets eliminate the need to loosen the ASA bolts when you need to disassemble the marker. It also has a vertical front grip for improved stability and added texture.
Advantages of the Tippmann 98 Platinum
- Easy to Maintain and Modify. You can customize the look of this paintball gun, and upgrade the performance capabilities when you want to get a bit more serious about the games you are playing.
- Easy to Use: The semi-automatic marker delivers reliable service that can be easily upgraded. This makes it easy to use as you upgrade it at any time.
- Increased Accuracy: Compared to the other system, The Tippmann 98 Platinum is more accurate to use because of its features, such as the standards trigger guard.
- Easily Compatible: The 98 custom is compatible with many Tippmann, and its accessories come with Tippmann’s world class 2-year warranty.
Things to Be Aware Of
Potential customers should be aware that the Tippmann 98 Platinum is a relatively loud paintball gun, as a few users complained about the noise.
The Tippmann Platinum paintball gun is one of our favorites out there today, with a really good barrel, being easy to maintain, and its impressive durability.
A top tier marker for intermediate – advanced level ballers |
Sitting on a pedestal of its own, the Empire Axe is a high-quality marker generally used for more advanced forms of paintballing.
It is an impressive piece of equipment often enjoyed by speedballers and this is reflected in the price tag.
But don’t let that limit you from bringing the Axe to your next recball game.
Empire is known for supplying some of the best paintball guns available, and the Axe is no exception.
It is built to be exceptionally light, which means portability and ease of movement are a strong feature.
It has a rapid e-trigger and a resulting firing rate that is on par with the best markers available.
The Axe boasts a hoseless internal setup and a push button bolt removal system.
Now you won’t have to worry about any malfunctioning hoses mid-match.
The removal system allows for quick adjustments on the field without the need for tools.