Wagons are timeless and utilitarian.
Once an essential tool for hauling before the age of motor vehicles, wagons are not as common as they were 200 years ago and typically enjoy more relaxed use, often for gardening applications or taking toddlers on a leisurely stroll to the neighborhood park.
Today’s kids wagon designs are a far cry from the simple nature of the nostalgic idea of the “little red wagon”, boasting modern conveniences such as cup holders, covered storage compartments and protective canopies. Wagon safety features have been upgraded as well.
Many modern wagons for kids are equipped with high sides and seat belts to keep kids secure.
They also feature wide and sturdy tires as well as a large turning radius and low center of gravity to resist tipping.
Top Rated 10 Best Kids Wagons in 2021: Quick Comparison
|Step2 Neighborhood Wagon||20 x 39 x 17 inches||Check Price|
|Step2 Wagon for Two Plus Blue||1.5 to 6 Years||42.5 x 20.2 x 38.2 inches||Check Price|
|Step2 All Around Canopy Wagon||1.5 to 8 Years||41 x 19.5 x 40.5 inches||Check Price|
|Radio Flyer Steel Wood Wagon||1.5 Years and above||38 x 18 x 8 inches||Check Price|
|Radio Flyer Ultimate Comfort Wagon||1.5 Years and above||41.5 x 18.5 x 13.8 inches||Check Price|
|Radio Flyer Kids Ultimate EZ Folding Wagon||1.5 to 6 Years||20.1 x 11.8 x 28.4 inches||Check Price|
|Step2 Whisper Ride Touring Wagon||1.5 to 4 Years||45.5 x 19 x 34 inches||Check Price|
|Little Tikes Deluxe Wagon with Umbrella||1.5 to 5 Years||41.9 x 23.6 x 16.5 inches||Check Price|
|Radio Flyer Classic Red Wagon||1.5 to 3 Years||37.4 x 5.2 x 17.6 inches||Check Price|
|Radio Flyer 2-in-1 Journey Wagon||1.5 to 15 Years||39.8 x 8.3 x 18.4 inches||Check Price|
Reviews of Top Rated Wagons for Kids – Red, Beach, Plastic, Foldable, All Terrain Wagons Covered
The best wagons for kids are sturdy and made to last, and many of today’s wagon models are conveniently versatile, easily converting from passenger rides to flatbeds, with folding handles and locking mechanisms that allow for easy transport.
The following wagons are ideal for toddlers, and most are designed to accommodate multiple passengers with ease.
Radio Flyer Full Size All-Terrain Steel and Wood Wagon for Kids
A top seller in pull-behind wagons, the Radio Flyer Full Size (36″).
All-Terrain Steel and Wood Wagon is a timeless classic that has been re-vamped for your modern lifestyle.
Designed for both on- and off-road adventures, the award-winning wagon rolls like a dream on pavement, and its 10-inch rubber tires can easily traverse rough terrain with virtually no sound.
The wagon’s controlled turning radius prevents tipping, and its seamless steel body is sturdy and solid yet lightweight.
- Kids 18 months and older will love riding in this fun, retro-style wagon.
- The Radio Flyer’s tall sides, crafted of natural wood, means you’ll have plenty of storage space and leg room.
- Despite its bulk, the wagon handle folds underneath, allowing for easy transport in a mid-size family car.
- Boasts a weight capacity of up to 200 pounds.
- This all terrain wagon for kids is sturdy and durable.
Step2 Wagon for Two Plus – A Kids Wagon With Door
Not all great wagons are red; you can turn heads while strolling through the neighborhood while the kids are safely buckled in their bright blue Step2 Wagon for Two Plus.
A top-rated and affordable wagon, with a price of about $65 or less, the Wagon for Two is designed for ages 18 months – 6 years and roomy enough for two passengers.
Even tall adults can comfortably use the wagon’s long pull handle, which folds under for easy storage and transporting.
- Features include molded cup holders and an under-seat storage compartment.
- Kids can enter and exit the wagon on their own using the easy-latch door.
- Molded drain holes in the leg well keep the wagon dry and make cleaning a breeze.
- The wagon’s contoured seats are equipped with safety belts.
- Maximum weight in wagon: 75 Pounds.(33.75kg)
Step2 All Around Canopy Wagon – Covered Wagon for Kids
The versatile Step2 All Around Canopy Wagon makes for a fun ride and provides a great place for your little one to rest after a long adventure at the park or through the neighborhood.
The red wagon’s seats flip down to form a flat bed or table, and the six included cup/snack holders mean your kids won’t be lacking in storage space in their All Around Canopy Wagon.
No matter the terrain, Step2’s “whisper ride” wheels ensure a quiet and smooth ride. With a price tag between $84 – $99, this sturdy covered wagon for kids is a solid investment that will provide years of enjoyment.
- Appropriate for ages 18 months – 8 years.
- The wagon’s easy-access door and attached seat belts foster independence.
- The removable canopy is durable and easy to clean.
- Can accommodate two children, with a maximum rider weight of 75 pounds.
- Rear Wagon Storage
Radio Flyer Kid’s Ultimate EZ – Best Folding Wagon for Kids
The rich Radio Flyer tradition lives on in the Ultimate EZ. Made for your busy on-the-go lifestyle, the Ultimate EZ folding wagon for kids features a telescoping handle and one-hand folding mechanism and is compact enough to fit in most family vehicles.
With plenty of attractive features, including a removable sun canopy, comfortable seat backs and secure seat belts, the Kid’s Ultimate EZ collapsible wagon is a smart choice for your growing family.
Using only a wrench and Phillips head screwdriver, the Ultimate EZ can be fully assembled in less than 15 minutes.
- Heavy-duty wheels can easily traverse pavement, grass, cobblestone and dirt paths.
- Ideal for riders ages 18 months – 6 years.
- Four fabric cup holders allow for quick access to drinks and snacks in this collapsible wagon for kids.
- DuraClean fabric sides and canopy are easy to wipe clean for this kids folding wagon.
Radio Flyer Ultimate Comfort Wagon
Give your children the smoothest ride possible in the Radio Flyer Ultimate Comfort Wagon, which offers the convenience of multiple ride options to accommodate your growing family.
The wagon’s flip-and-fold seat provides the ultimate in versatility, giving you seating for two, an activity surface or a flatbed option for your utility needs.
Akin to a rolling throne rather than a wagon, the attached canopy shields your children from harmful UV rays, and the wagon’s padded seats will keep them comfortable throughout the journey.
- The Ultimate Comfort Wagon can support up to 200 pounds.
- The wagon’s wide turning radius and extra large tires make for a quiet ride, even over grass and sand.
- Features child and adult cup holders, attached seat belts and expandable rear storage bag.
- Recommended for ages 18 months and over.
Step2 Neighborhood Red Wagon for Kids
The Step2 Neighborhood Wagon merges simplicity and tons of useful features into one durable wagon.
The Neighborhood Wagon’s right red plastic body is maintenance-free and easy to clean with soap and water.
With two contoured seats and plenty of leg room, the wagon can accommodate two children comfortably.
Kids love the molded-in cup holders next to each seat, and you can bring snacks and small accessories along for the ride in the convenient side panel storage compartment.
- Kids can buckle up safely in the wagon using the attached seat belts.
- The maximum weight capacity of the Neighborhood Wagon is 75 pounds.
- Sturdy tires can roll over sidewalks and rougher terrain, such as gravel and grass, with ease.
- Simple, illustrated instructions allow for simple assembly in less than an hour.
- The long handle of this red wagon for kids folds under the body for ease of storage.
Step2 Whisper Ride Touring Wagon
Versatility is a desirable feature among today’s wagons, and the Step2 Whisper Ride Touring Wagon delivers, easily converting from a passenger wagon to a flatbed hauler.
With plenty of leg room to accommodate up to two riders ages 18 months – 4 years, this wagon is equipped with molded snack trays, two seat belts and comfortable high-back seats.
At a budget-friendly price of about $110, the Whisper Ride is a great value among convertible wagons and has a maximum weight capacity of 100 pounds.
- Comes with a removable table surface for picnicking and hauling.
- Durable plastic tires glide easily over varied terrain and are super quiet.
- The Whisper Ride Touring Wagon folds down easily for compact storage and transport.
- Clear instructions allow for easy assembly in less than an hour.
Radio Flyer Classic Red Wagon
The updated Radio Flyer Classic Red Wagon boasts modern features yet retains the sleek retro-style appearance that has made it a timeless classic.
Constructed of high-quality coated steel with no rough edges, this red wagon will give your family many years of enjoyment.
The Classic Red Wagon’s extra-long pull handle can be folded underneath the wagon, allowing for convenient transport and storage.
- You don’t have to worry about the wagon tipping thanks to its tight, controlled turning radius.
- Can be fully assembled in less than 45 minutes.
- Ideal for children 18 months – 3 years and a maximum total weight of about 110 pounds.
- Real rubber tires make for a smooth and quiet ride over all types of terrain.